NJ mom charged in crash that injured infant son
HOWELL TOWNSHIP, N.J. (AP) - June 23, 2012 (WPVI) -- Numerous charges have been filed against a New Jersey mom who authorities say was driving drunk when she caused a multivehicle crash that left her 7-month-old son critically injured.
Thirty-six-year-old Desiree Moore of Farmingdale was one of seven people hurt in the June 15 crash in Howell Township. She was hospitalized for a week before being released Friday, when she was charged with four counts of assault by auto, two counts of aggravated assault and a child endangerment count.
Monmouth County prosecutors said the late-night crash occurred when Moore drove through a flashing red light at Colts Neck Road and Route 33. Her son and her 15-year-old daughter were passengers in the vehicle, and prosecutors said the girl was not wearing a seatbelt and the infant was not restrained in a car seat.
As Moore went through the intersection, her vehicle collided with one car and moments later struck another. Her vehicle then hit a pedestrian on the side of the road.
The seven people hurt in the crash - Moore and her children, the pedestrian, and three people in the other cars - were all taken to hospitals with undisclosed injuries.
Moore's daughter, the pedestrian and two other victims were treated for minor injuries and later released, while Moore, her son and the driver of another car were all hospitalized with serious injuries.
Moore's son remained hospitalized Saturday in critical but stable condition. Details on the status of the other injured driver were not available Saturday.
Moore was being held on $100,000 cash bail, and it was not known Saturday if she has retained a lawyer.
Besides the criminal offenses, she also faces charges of drunken driving and numerous motor vehicle summonses.
new jersey, monmouth county, accident, children, local/state
- Arctic Blast and Possible Weekend Storm 33 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- PennDOT clears roads of snow, preps for ice 52 min ago
- Limo driver charged in wreck that killed newlyweds 44 min ago
- Police search for burglar targeting Philly restaurants 42 min ago
- Police: Mom was DUI in chain-reaction crash
- Possible abduction caught on camera in Spring Garden
- No bail for 2 charged in Philly collapse
- Obama hails Mandela as "last great liberator"
- $344M Mega Millions numbers drawn
- 6 missing adults, children found alive in Nevada 41 min ago
- Photos: Victoria's Secret Fashion Show 2013 (Photos)
- Arctic Blast and Possible Weekend Storm
33 min ago