Woman found beaten in Hunting Park cemetery
HUNTING PARK - June 25, 2012 (WPVI) -- Philadelphia police say a woman was found badly beaten in a cemetery early Monday morning.
According to police, someone attacked the victim, a 31-year-old woman, late Sunday night.
The victim told police a man dragged her into a cemetery at 4301 Front Street in the Hunting Park section. The woman also told police she was sexually assaulted. However, investigators have been unable to verify that.
She was very badly beaten during the assault and knocked unconscious, police said, and did not wake up until early Monday morning.
She was discovered by a passerby around 5:00 a.m.
The account is based on the few words the woman was able to convey to the responding officer.
The woman was taken to Temple University Hospital where she is being treated for her injuries, including trauma to the head.
The victim doesn't live in the area and police don't know why she was there.
Police say they did find what appeared to be a crime scene as the investigation continued Monday.
Because of the woman's condition, police say there are few other details at this time.
The victim was last reported to be in critical, but stable, condition.
sex assault, rape, hunting park, philadelphia, local/state
- Delco school on lockdown amid standoff
- AccuWeather: mild today, rain Wednesday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's death
- Reward offered in Collingdale hit-and-run
- Turnpike officials: Road plowed, salted before pileup
- Malaysian military says missing jet changed course
- 6 students hurt in Camden Co. school bus crash
- 2nd suspect sought in finger-biting attack
- Woman shot in bed in South Philadelphia
- 911 recordings released in Ewing Twp. explosion
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police