Woman found beaten in Hunting Park cemetery
HUNTING PARK - June 25, 2012 (WPVI) -- Philadelphia police say a woman was found badly beaten in a cemetery early Monday morning.
According to police, someone attacked the victim, a 31-year-old woman, late Sunday night.
The victim told police a man dragged her into a cemetery at 4301 Front Street in the Hunting Park section. The woman also told police she was sexually assaulted. However, investigators have been unable to verify that.
She was very badly beaten during the assault and knocked unconscious, police said, and did not wake up until early Monday morning.
She was discovered by a passerby around 5:00 a.m.
The account is based on the few words the woman was able to convey to the responding officer.
The woman was taken to Temple University Hospital where she is being treated for her injuries, including trauma to the head.
The victim doesn't live in the area and police don't know why she was there.
Police say they did find what appeared to be a crime scene as the investigation continued Monday.
Because of the woman's condition, police say there are few other details at this time.
The victim was last reported to be in critical, but stable, condition.
sex assault, rape, hunting park, philadelphia, local/state
- Very cold today, Saturday storm
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Sign up for Facebook Flash!
- Interpreter at Mandela event: I was hallucinating 40 min ago
- Police: Freshman dies after frat ritual in Poconos 3 min ago
- 2 dead after truck and car collide in Mercer County
- Suspicious package found outside Planet Fitness in Olney
- Suspects tie up 71-year-old in home invasion
- Narcotic officers raid Lacey High School
- Woman charged in boyfriend's heroin death
- Bandit holds up TD Bank in Chestnut Hill
- Dump truck hits ATV pulling sled, boy killed
- American University campus lockdown lifted
- SUV crashes into gas pump, bursts into flames
15 min ago