Philabundance partners with Hard Rock Cafe
CENTER CITY - June 28, 2012 (WPVI) -- People on the front lines of the war against hunger will tell you it takes no holiday.
People on the front lines of the war against hunger will tell you it takes no holiday. That's especially true in summer. Crops may abound, but awareness tends to wane this time of year. That's one big reason Philabundance, the local anti-hunger charity, is partnering with Hard Rock Café this month.
Visit their Center City location at 12th and Market Streets, order up a Joe's South Philly Burger at the regular price, and they'll donate five dollars to Philabundance. They've sold hundreds so far, and the promotion continues through June 30th& only at the Center City location.
Joe's South Philly burger is an exclusive creation so popular it will stay on the menu after the promotion ends. Its ten ounces of premium ground beef, served on a hoagie roll with provolone cheese, pepperoni, salami, roasted red peppers, and
Chances are, five dollars doesn't sound like much to you. But to Philabndance, it's enough to furnish a person in need with ten meals.
That's possible because so many local food companies donate, and because Philabundance also makes meals rich in produce, local when possible. You might think the job of feeding the hungry would be easiest this time of year.
It's true that local farms are producing a wealth of delicious fruit and vegetables. But this is also the time when people tend to go on vacation and think about other things, so awareness is down. Need, on the other hand, never takes a holiday. So the burger promotion comes at an opportune time.
For more information visit Philabundance online, where you may also explore volunteer opportunities or make a donation. Hard Rock Café of Philadelphia is online or reach them by phone at 215-238-1000.
The kitchen is open daily from 11:00am to 11:00pm, midnight on Fridays and Saturdays. But the Philabundance promotion ends June 30th. Joe's South Philly burger will remain on the menu after that, but without the donation. There will be another burger featured on the menu after that, and the staff is engaged in a competition right now to create that.
center city, food, philadelphia, pennsylvania, local/state
- 40 homes threatened in NJ forest fire 4 min ago
- Sunny, blustery winds today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Forest fire up to 1500 acres in Cumberland Co.
- 1 dead in shooting near Widener University
- Package prompts evacuation in Evesham
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- 3 American doctors killed in Afghanistan
- Photos: 23 wanted in Phila. insurance fraud scheme
- Family escapes burning home in Bucks Co.
- Photos: National Pretzel Day Art & Fun Facts 11 min ago
- School stops serving Mountain Dew before tests
- Photos: People's 'Most Beautiful' list of 2014
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos