Standoff comes to violent end in North Philadelphia (PHOTOS)
NORTH PHILADELPHIA - June 26, 2012 (WPVI) -- A standoff involving police came to a violent end in North Philadelphia on Tuesday afternoon.
The incident began as domestic dispute call at a home in the area of 9th and York streets.
When police arrived, a man barricaded himself inside and kept police at bay for much of the day.
Finally, the man stood in the doorway and could be seen yelling and pointing erratically.
As the man was standing there, police fired bean bags and knocked the man back into the house.
However, he managed to close the door before police could climb the stairs. So, once there, police began to knock the door down.
As they made their way through the door, the man shoved his way through, knocking some of the officers to the ground.
Police eventually subdued the man and took him into custody. His name has not been released.
One police officer sustained injuries to the neck and back in this incident.
philadelphia, north philadelphia, standoff, local/state
- Apparent misunderstanding in police shooting 42 min ago
- Mostly sunny, very windy today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Detectives serve warrants at Chester police station
- New 'object of interest' in missing jet hunt
- 3 shot during funeral at Trenton church
- Serial burglar strikes South Phila. businesses
- 6abc viewer helps police nab $18K jewelry suspect
- Police release surveillance of Target heist
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Video: Video gamer is the victim of SWATting hoax
- Video: Dying dog in Canada has bucket list
- What would you ask Mayor Nutter?
- Apparent misunderstanding in police shooting
42 min ago
- Fire damages corner store in North Phila.
45 min ago
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos