30 displaced in 2-alarm Rhawnhurst fire
RHAWNHURST - June 26, 2012 (WPVI) -- Offiicals say a 2-alarm fire at an apartment complex in Rhawnhurst has displaced approximately 30 people.
The fire was reported at 9:00 p.m. at the Rhawn Apartments located in the 1800 block of Rhawn Street.
Flames could be seen coming from a second floor unit in the four story building.
A second alarm was struck at 9:17 p.m. The fire was placed under control a half hour later.
Battalion Chief Anthony Hudgins of the Philadelphia Fire Department says crews got a quick jump on the fire and that made all the difference with regard to making a few rescues.
"[They rescued] two women from the second floor and they brought one man out from the third floor via the ladder; we also know that one person self evacuated by jumping out the window, but he's fine," Hudgins said.
There were no injuries reported.
The Red Cross has set up a shelter at Rhawnhurst Elementary School at 7801 Castor Avenue.
Investigators are working on determining a cause.
philadelphia, fire, local/state
- Actor James Gandolfini dies at 51 56 min ago
- Splendid spring finale 41 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Get the new 6abc StormTracker app
- Boy, 6, hit by car in East Oak Lane 51 min ago
- Villanova lockdown over, all suspects in custody 46 min ago
- Pregnant woman, 2 others shot in N. Phila. 44 min ago
- Back yard bear prompts photos, videos 43 min ago
- Men's Wearhouse ousts founder, pitchman Zimmer
- 20 people charged in Ocean Co. heroin raids
- 15 charged in NJ unemployment fraud case
- AMA declares obesity a disease [POLL]
- Video: Phila. choir shares stage with Rolling Stones
- Desmond's slam leads Nats over Phillies 33 min ago
- Actor James Gandolfini dies at 51
56 min ago
- Villanova lockdown over, all suspects in...
46 min ago
- Boy, 6, hit by car in East Oak Lane
51 min ago
- Pregnant woman, 2 others shot in N. Phila.
44 min ago