Police: Armed man attacks SEPTA driver in Old City
OLD CITY - June 27, 2012 (WPVI) -- Passengers came to the aid of a SEPTA bus driver who was being attacked on Wednesday morning.
It was around 10:00 a.m. when, police say, a man, identified as 32-year-old Robert Moore, boarded the bus at 4th and Market in Old City and, for an unknown reason, threatened to assault the driver - then began choking him.
"He just came on the bus and he stood over here. I never heard what he was saying," said the driver, Barrington Rhoden. "Then he gave me a choke hold and held me back in the seat.
At least two of the passengers came to the aid of the driver. One of them, Steve Mohammed of West Philadelphia, said:
"When I saw him attack the bus driver I realized my trip was now compromised and in jeopardy. So, I assisted the bus operator in restraining this guy, who had a knife."
Police say Moore of Melrose Park, Pa. was armed with a knife.
Mohammed said he got the knife away from the man and threw if off the bus. Police confirm a knife was located outside the bus.
The Action Cam was on the scene as Moore was taken into custody.
Moore has been charged with Aggravated Assault, Causing/Risking a Catastrophe, Simple Assault, Resisting Arrest and related offenses.
Police believe he may suffer from a mental illness and may also have been under the influence of narcotics.
SEPTA said Rhoden was not injured in this incident. No other injuries were reported at the scene.
An investigation into this attack continues.
philadelphia, old city, assault, SEPTA, local/state
- Parking dispute turns violent at Cherry Hill Mall 11 min ago
- Sunny and chilly 13 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Residents return following Bucks Co. hazmat
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera
- SEPTA trolley collides with taxi in West Philadelphia
- Man gets pinned under van in Logan crash
- Man seriously injured in crash on Roosevelt Blvd.
- Gunfire erupts on Delaware Ave. near SugarHouse Casino
- Off-duty cop shoots man during fight
- Malaysia jet may have turned back
- Actress Sheila MacRae of 'Honeymooners' dies at 92
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Sunny and chilly
13 min ago