Police: Armed man attacks SEPTA driver in Old City
OLD CITY - June 27, 2012 (WPVI) -- Passengers came to the aid of a SEPTA bus driver who was being attacked on Wednesday morning.
It was around 10:00 a.m. when, police say, a man, identified as 32-year-old Robert Moore, boarded the bus at 4th and Market in Old City and, for an unknown reason, threatened to assault the driver - then began choking him.
"He just came on the bus and he stood over here. I never heard what he was saying," said the driver, Barrington Rhoden. "Then he gave me a choke hold and held me back in the seat.
At least two of the passengers came to the aid of the driver. One of them, Steve Mohammed of West Philadelphia, said:
"When I saw him attack the bus driver I realized my trip was now compromised and in jeopardy. So, I assisted the bus operator in restraining this guy, who had a knife."
Police say Moore of Melrose Park, Pa. was armed with a knife.
Mohammed said he got the knife away from the man and threw if off the bus. Police confirm a knife was located outside the bus.
The Action Cam was on the scene as Moore was taken into custody.
Moore has been charged with Aggravated Assault, Causing/Risking a Catastrophe, Simple Assault, Resisting Arrest and related offenses.
Police believe he may suffer from a mental illness and may also have been under the influence of narcotics.
SEPTA said Rhoden was not injured in this incident. No other injuries were reported at the scene.
An investigation into this attack continues.
philadelphia, old city, assault, SEPTA, local/state
- Deadly shooting near La Salle University
- AccuWeather: Weather Whiplash 2 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Shooting leads to police standoff in Logan 24 min ago
- Pedestrian struck in North Philadelphia
- Police: Woman, 21, stabbed grandfather to death 40 min ago
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's death 45 min ago
- Volunteer brutally assaulted outside Lehigh Co. church 51 min ago
- Delco police standoff ends, suspect dead
- Self-penned obit takes internet by storm
- Tests confirm toxic chemicals inside Phila. fire station
- Malaysian military: Missing jet changed course
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Police: Woman, 21, stabbed grandfather to...
40 min ago
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's...
45 min ago
- AccuWeather: Weather Whiplash
2 min ago