Pa. mom gives birth on side of Interstate 79
MCKEES ROCKS, Pa. (AP) - June 28, 2012 (WPVI) -- A western Pennsylvania couple started their drive to the hospital with two kids in the car. It wasn't long before they had three.
Erika Garcia gave birth to her third child Wednesday morning on the side of Interstate 79 in Kennedy Township, Allegheny County. Husband Marcus Thomas went from the driver's seat to the hot seat after Garcia told him the baby was on her way.
So Thomas pulled over and helped Garcia's speedy delivery along. Son Marcus Jr. tells WPXI-TV he held the baby's hand while his dad swaddled the newborn.
Thomas jokes the couple considered naming the baby Kennedy after her birthplace but the settled on Catalaya.
Garcia and Catalaya were taken immediately to a hospital. Officials there say mom and daughter are doing fine.
children, pennsylvania, local/state
- Death toll lowered in Okla. twister; 24 dead
- Partly sunny, warm and humid today
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Oklahoma twister tracked path of 1999 tornado
- Delaware trash can explosion leaves 1 injured 50 min ago
- Skippack student may have 'voluntarily' vanished
- Man convicted of murder in Pa. musician's slaying
- 15 motorcyclists arrested following NJ chase ID'd
- 2 teens arrested at Pennsbury H.S. prom
- SUV crashes when dog gets stuck in steering wheel
- NJ ex-priest arrested after working with kids
- Larry Holmes wins round in Pa. parking dispute
- Surveillance video released in food vendor murder
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos