Welcome to Camp No Worries!
TABERNACLE, N.J. - June 28, 2012 (WPVI) -- Summertime is camp season and it is extra special time for a group of campers in Tabernacle, New Jersey.
Welcome to Camp No Worries where for just one week, children with cancer and their siblings can leave their troubles behind them.
"I love how everyone is so nice and warm to each other," said one happy camper. "There are truly no worries."
It is a place where kids can let loose and just be themselves without being held back by their medicine.
"A lot of times when you're on treatment, you are around so many adults, you kind of forget what it's like to be a kid and just have fun," said Carrie Walsh.
Carrie Walsh is a leukemia survivor, and now at 20 years old, she's still coming back with her family to serve as a counselor.
"I'll look at them and maybe see them struggling a little bit, and I see myself just wanting to do everything for them, and I just have to remember to take a step back and let them do their thing like my counselors did for me," said Carrie.
For each child it costs $800 dollars to be at camp, but through donations and a completely volunteer staff, it is free of charge.
Kids get to enjoy all the wonderful aspects of camp including fun activities like arts and crafts, archery, and pool time; with a full-time pediatric oncologist always nearby.
But even better than all of that, Camp No Worries has become a second family to these children, so when the week is up, it's always tough.
"There's only two days left and it's hard to say goodbye," said one camper.
cancer, children, new jersey, local/state, shirleen allicot
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera
- Slightly Cooler Sunday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Off-duty cop shoots man during fight
- Police: Deadly shooting at after-hours bar
- PSU trustee resigns, regrets Paterno vote
- Mom of Tasered teen arrested for shoplifting
- Jet crash: Oil slicks found; Passports stolen
- Woman trapped after crashing SUV in Darby Boro
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- Actress Sheila MacRae of 'Honeymooners' dies at 92
- 2 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ