'Occupy' readies for national conference in Philly
PHILADELPHIA (AP) - June 29, 2012 (WPVI) -- Get ready for Occupy Fourth of July in Philadelphia.
'Occupy' groups from across the country are headed to the city for a 'national gathering' on Independence Mall, starting Saturday and running through July 4. Organizers say about 1,500 protesters are expected for marches and gatherings in support of the group's push for economic equality and other causes.
Philadelphia is bracing for extra people during a week that brings more than 1 million tourists to town for concerts, fireworks and other events. City officials say they're prepared for the Occupy gathering and events planned by other groups.
Deputy Police Commissioner Kevin Bethel says the department will bolster its presence in order to keep tabs on the protests, using uniformed and non-uniformed personal, mounted units, bicycle officers and other units.
occupy movement, philadelphia, local/state
- Iranian teen had stolen passport on missing jet
- AccuWeather: mild today, rain Wednesday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2nd suspect sought in finger-biting attack 24 min ago
- Woman shot in bed in South Philadelphia
- Suspicious fire damages home in Camden
- 911 recordings released in Ewing Twp. explosion 10 min ago
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife
- Man,90, dies in Hamilton Township house fire
- Pa. woman born at Burger King seeks birth mom 26 min ago
- Photos: 7 recent child porn arrests in Pa.and Del.
- Photos: Thwarted! 10 suspects caught in the act
- Video: Cat attacks toddler, parents call 911
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos