'Occupy' readies for national conference in Philly
PHILADELPHIA (AP) - June 29, 2012 (WPVI) -- Get ready for Occupy Fourth of July in Philadelphia.
'Occupy' groups from across the country are headed to the city for a 'national gathering' on Independence Mall, starting Saturday and running through July 4. Organizers say about 1,500 protesters are expected for marches and gatherings in support of the group's push for economic equality and other causes.
Philadelphia is bracing for extra people during a week that brings more than 1 million tourists to town for concerts, fireworks and other events. City officials say they're prepared for the Occupy gathering and events planned by other groups.
Deputy Police Commissioner Kevin Bethel says the department will bolster its presence in order to keep tabs on the protests, using uniformed and non-uniformed personal, mounted units, bicycle officers and other units.
occupy movement, philadelphia, local/state
- London theater partially collapses; 80 injured
- Record Weekend Warmth
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Security breach affected all cards, not just Target's
- Steps you can take to reduce fraud risk
- Is heroin addiction as close as your medicine cabinet? 15 min ago
- Philadelphia Police search for missing 2-year-old boy 43 min ago
- Attempted child luring in Newtown, Bucks County
- Holiday tips, cards stolen in East Pikeland Twp.
- Pastor defrocked after performing son's gay wedding
- Cat hoarder at Grace Kelly home found guilty
- 50 coworkers in Del. to split $1M Mega Millions ticket
- Bring old clothes to new H&M for savings
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos