'Occupy' readies for national conference in Philly
PHILADELPHIA (AP) - June 29, 2012 (WPVI) -- Get ready for Occupy Fourth of July in Philadelphia.
'Occupy' groups from across the country are headed to the city for a 'national gathering' on Independence Mall, starting Saturday and running through July 4. Organizers say about 1,500 protesters are expected for marches and gatherings in support of the group's push for economic equality and other causes.
Philadelphia is bracing for extra people during a week that brings more than 1 million tourists to town for concerts, fireworks and other events. City officials say they're prepared for the Occupy gathering and events planned by other groups.
Deputy Police Commissioner Kevin Bethel says the department will bolster its presence in order to keep tabs on the protests, using uniformed and non-uniformed personal, mounted units, bicycle officers and other units.
occupy movement, philadelphia, local/state
- Police: Man targeted in hit-and-run crash 36 min ago
- Egg-cellent holiday weekend
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Family pets die in house blaze in Newark, Del.
- Captain of sunken S. Korean ferry, 2 crew arrested
- Search teams recover body of 13th Sherpa 56 min ago
- Police: Store owner victimizes teens with Taser
- Pedestrian struck by train in Plymouth Meeting
- Authorities searching Delaware River for boater
- Photos: Pictures of out-of-control boat on the Del....
- Miley Cyrus still hospitalized, postpones Philly show
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Teen suspended for asking Miss America to prom