Bear spotted in Vineland, safely caught
VINELAND, N.J. - June 29, 2012 (WPVI) -- A black bear that caused quite a stir in Vineland, New Jersey was tranquilized and safely caught after sitting in a tree for hours.
"You don't see bears in trees in Vineland," said Julie Lopez.
While that's usually the case, Friday was a little different.
It was a unique moment as several spectators snapped photos of a 1-year-old black bear as he sat in a tree on the first block of Howard Street.
"It's weird seeing a bear in the middle of Vineland but it's neat," said Shaun Dwyer, one of many curious spectators.
The Action Cam was on the scene the bear - weighing approximately 100 pounds -climbed up and down.
At one point the animal hopped onto the roof of Tara Baston's home.
"It's crazy and weird," Baston said as she recalled hearing the unusual footsteps on her roof.
Residents seemed genuinely intrigued and with good reason, as bears are not particularly common in South Jersey.
"They're common to the northwest part of New Jersey," said Captain Tom Ulrich of the Vineland Police Department.
Police tried to keep the public informed - unsure of the bear's next move.
"They shouldn't approach it, shouldn't chase it and secure your garbage," said Capt. Ulrich.
Fish and Game Commission officials arrived later Friday afternoon and tranquilized the bear.
The goal is to safely remove the animal and return it to a more natural habitat.
new jersey, cumberland county, animals, local/state
- Police probe pizza deliveryman shooting in SW Phila.
- Sunny, blustery winds today 42 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Family escapes burning home in Bucks Co. 30 min ago
- Forest fire up to 1500 acres in Cumberland Co. 2 min ago
- Police search for gunman in Germantown bar shooting 13 min ago
- Eye doc grew pot in Delco home, police say
- Photos: 23 wanted in Phila. insurance fraud scheme
- WCU investigates indecent assault, carjacking attempt
- MLK football documentary premieres in NYC
- Philadelphia Eagles 2014 game schedule
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Photos: People's 'Most Beautiful' list of 2014
- Sunny, blustery winds today
42 min ago
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos