Arrest made in murder of NJ woman, 81
PAULSBORO, N.J. - June 29, 2012 (WPVI) -- Police have made an arrest in the March murder of a 81-year-old woman in Paulsboro, New Jersey.
Samuel Kevin Davis, 45, with a last known address in the 200 block of Swedesboro Avenue in Paulsboro, has been charged with murder in the death of Thirza Sweeten.
It was back on March 19th when Sweeten's body was found in her home on South Delaware Avenue. The woman's daughter made the discovery.
"I can't understand how someone can disregard an elderly woman like that," said her son, Barry Sweeten on Friday.
Police say Davis was an acquaintance of Barry Sweeten, who periodically lived with his mother but was hospitalized at the time of the murder.
"I thought he could be trusted, I didn't know much about him. He came here three of four times to watch television, to sit and have conversation. That was it," Barry Sweeten said.
A motive for the murder remains unclear. Police say there was no evidence of theft in the home.
Investigators said Davis was a person of interest early on and, the day after Sweeten's body was found, Davis was arrested on an unrelated charge. He has been in custody ever since.
Bail was set at $750,000 on the murder charge.
Police say the investigation remains open. Anyone with information is asked to contact the GCPO major crimes unit at (856) 384-5500.
Anonymous tips can also be sent by text. Text GLOTIP + message to CRIMES (274637)
Thriza Sweeten was a native of England and came to the United States after marrying a service member in World World II.
new jersey, gloucester county, homicide, local/state
- Jersey shore eyes record-setting summer
- Rain Moves Out, Cool Winds Blow In
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Police investigate 2 robberies in Montgomery Co.
- Police seek suspect in Olney sex assault
- Faith-healing couple held without bail
- Police: Woman who hit teen was DUI, reading text
- Deadly crash on I-295 in Mercer County, N.J.
- Tractor trailer crash jams traffic in Chesco
- Sex offender arrested in Del. child porn bust
- Philadelphia man sentenced in shaken baby death
- 4 men sought in West Philadelphia armed robbery
- Wash. I-5 bridge collapse caused by oversize load
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos