Taste of Philadelphia kicks off at Penn's Landing
PHILADELPHIA - June 29, 2012 (WPVI) -- The Taste of Philadelphia kicked off at Penn's landing Friday afternoon.
The 3-day frenzy of food offers treats and eats from more than 25 of the city's top restaurants with affordable, bite-size samples of their best dishes.
So let the munching begin!
"I'm definitely planning on going around sampling all of the trucks, and all the stands," said Kim McLaughlin. "There's going to be all kinds of food around here, and I am really excited about it."
"We are a meatball company, so we sell meatball sandwiches, meatballs and pasta or you can just get meatballs in a bowl with three different kinds of sauces," said Jessica Marabella from Marabella Meatball Company.
"Three ounce turkey burger with an Asian slaw with a sweet Thai sauce; alittle spicy, a little sweet," Matt Andrews said, describing a signature burger. Matt is the Executive Sous Chef from the Hyatt.
New this year in addition to the restaurant tents, the Chestnut Street Bridge will be lined with food trucks offering everything from hot dogs to hoagies to fries.
Nate Pennachietti from Little Dan's Gourmet said that he braves the 125 degree temperature in his truck with lots of water and cold ice.
You can take in the breeze from the river and listen to the cool sounds of jazz and blues Friday night, and then on Saturday and Sunday, you can cool off at the Super Scooper All-you-can-eat- Ice Cream festival. For just $7 a head, you get 50 flavors to choose from.
"You keep eating and eating and eating for as much as your heart's content and that's the idea," said Jeff Kahan, Super Scooper Organizer. "So as you're eating ice cream, you are raising money for leukemia research at Children's Hospital."
The Taste of Philadelphia is only one of the many Wawa Welcome America events going on through July 4th.
food, july fourth, philadelphia, local/state, nora muchanic
- Pizza deliveryman ID'd in police shooting 38 min ago
- Mostly sunny, very windy today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Eye doc grew pot in Delco home, police say
- Police ID man found dead in Centreville driveway 36 min ago
- Fmr. Devon Prep teacher faces child porn charges
- Woman charged in NJ man's overdose death 11 min ago
- 3rd lottery jackpot hits at Atlantic Co. truck stop
- Detectives serve warrants at Chester police station
- New 'object of interest' in missing jet hunt
- Restaurant plans new statue of Joe Paterno
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- What would you ask Mayor Nutter?
- Pizza deliveryman ID'd in police shooting
38 min ago
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos