Bicyclist killed in Delaware, driver faces DUI
REHOBOTH BEACH, Del. - July 1, 2012 (WPVI) -- Delaware State Police have charged a Florida man with vehicular homicide and driving under the influence of alcohol after a bicyclist was struck and killed in Rehoboth.
It happened about 2 a.m. Sunday on Coastal Highway. Troopers say 44-year-old Russell Henman of Snow Hill, Md., was riding his bike when a Jeep operated by 38-year-old Brian Meegan of Fort Lauderdale struck the bike.
Police say Henman was thrown onto the hood and was carried about 400 feet until the Jeep hit a curb, throwing him to the road. He was pronounced dead at the scene.
Troopers say Meegan fled the scene, stopped in a parking lot, and removed the bicycle from under the vehicle. He was arrested a short time later.
Meegan is being held on $27,700 cash bail.
delaware, sussex county, accident, DUI, local/state
- AccuWeather: Enjoy the Easter sunshine! 32 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Sign up for Facebook Flash
- Man shot, killed in Gloucester Twp. apartment 10 min ago
- Girl hospitalized after near-drowning in Philly hotel 22 min ago
- Man targeted in Collingdale hit-and-run ID'd
- Missing boater in Del. River ID'd, search called off
- Armed robbery at Target on Roosevelt Boulevard 51 min ago
- Pedestrian struck, killed by truck in Rhawnhurst 54 min ago
- Sex assault on West Chester University campus
- Stabbing at Hamilton Mall in Mays Landing
- Good Samaritans help nab alleged purse snatchers
- Lumberton brush fire considered 'suspicious'
- AccuWeather: Enjoy the Easter sunshine!
32 min ago