Bicyclist killed in Delaware, driver faces DUI
REHOBOTH BEACH, Del. - July 1, 2012 (WPVI) -- Delaware State Police have charged a Florida man with vehicular homicide and driving under the influence of alcohol after a bicyclist was struck and killed in Rehoboth.
It happened about 2 a.m. Sunday on Coastal Highway. Troopers say 44-year-old Russell Henman of Snow Hill, Md., was riding his bike when a Jeep operated by 38-year-old Brian Meegan of Fort Lauderdale struck the bike.
Police say Henman was thrown onto the hood and was carried about 400 feet until the Jeep hit a curb, throwing him to the road. He was pronounced dead at the scene.
Troopers say Meegan fled the scene, stopped in a parking lot, and removed the bicycle from under the vehicle. He was arrested a short time later.
Meegan is being held on $27,700 cash bail.
delaware, sussex county, accident, DUI, local/state
- 1 dead, 5 hurt in Trenton drive-by shooting
- Record Warmth! 31 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Carolers sing to grant Pa. cancer patient's wish
- Crews battle house fire in Elsmere 56 min ago
- Hospital: Teen shot at Colorado high school dies
- Photos: Snowy owl spotted in Strathmere 22 min ago
- 6 apartments destroyed in Wilmington fire
- 1 dead, 1 wounded in East Mt. Airy shooting
- $10K reward posted in Delco murder case
- Police search for missing Delco mother
- 4 charged with murder in NJ mall carjacking
- NASA astronauts tackle urgent spacewalking repairs
- Record Warmth!
31 min ago