Bicyclist killed in Delaware, driver faces DUI
REHOBOTH BEACH, Del. - July 1, 2012 (WPVI) -- Delaware State Police have charged a Florida man with vehicular homicide and driving under the influence of alcohol after a bicyclist was struck and killed in Rehoboth.
It happened about 2 a.m. Sunday on Coastal Highway. Troopers say 44-year-old Russell Henman of Snow Hill, Md., was riding his bike when a Jeep operated by 38-year-old Brian Meegan of Fort Lauderdale struck the bike.
Police say Henman was thrown onto the hood and was carried about 400 feet until the Jeep hit a curb, throwing him to the road. He was pronounced dead at the scene.
Troopers say Meegan fled the scene, stopped in a parking lot, and removed the bicycle from under the vehicle. He was arrested a short time later.
Meegan is being held on $27,700 cash bail.
delaware, sussex county, accident, DUI, local/state
- Police shoot man in Brewerytown 11 min ago
- Spotty, Drenching Downpours
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- I-5 bridge collapses in Washington 7 min ago
- Boy Scouts approve plan to accept openly gay boys
- Woman convicted in fiance's wedding day death
- Armed robber steals $800 from Northeast Philadelphia bank
- 8 charged in $14M drug operation in SE Pa.
- Missing Skippack student found in North Carolina
- NJ: Caramel-colored rubbing alcohol sold as scotch 47 min ago
- Chase Utley out 2-4 weeks with oblique strain
- Obama to tour Jersey Shore with Gov. Christie
- Ohio kidnap case hero gets year of free McDonald's
- NJ: Caramel-colored rubbing alcohol sold as...
47 min ago