Bicyclist killed in Delaware, driver faces DUI
REHOBOTH BEACH, Del. - July 1, 2012 (WPVI) -- Delaware State Police have charged a Florida man with vehicular homicide and driving under the influence of alcohol after a bicyclist was struck and killed in Rehoboth.
It happened about 2 a.m. Sunday on Coastal Highway. Troopers say 44-year-old Russell Henman of Snow Hill, Md., was riding his bike when a Jeep operated by 38-year-old Brian Meegan of Fort Lauderdale struck the bike.
Police say Henman was thrown onto the hood and was carried about 400 feet until the Jeep hit a curb, throwing him to the road. He was pronounced dead at the scene.
Troopers say Meegan fled the scene, stopped in a parking lot, and removed the bicycle from under the vehicle. He was arrested a short time later.
Meegan is being held on $27,700 cash bail.
delaware, sussex county, accident, DUI, local/state
- Break dancers spark controversy on SEPTA trains
- Snow likely Sunday into Monday 47 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- SEPTA union agrees to delay strike
- Paulsboro residents warned of contaminated water
- Pit bull found shot in NJ continues to recover 38 min ago
- Missing plane: Piracy theory gains more credence
- Runway reopens after failed takeoff at PHL
- 3 injured in 2-alarm fire in Holmesburg
- Teen father arrested for biting nose off infant
- 5 arrested after Logan murder, standoff
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Snow likely Sunday into Monday
47 min ago