Philly folks cope with heat wave
PHILADELPHIA - July 1, 2012 (WPVI) -- Sunday was yet another blistering, broiling day, but those who ventured outside found ways to cope with the heat.
The fountains of Logan Square were packed with people trying to stay cool.
A scorching sun coupled with a soupy like atmosphere made the day downright miserable outside.
But it didn't stop people from enjoying some gospel music at the Taste of Philadelphia, yet another event in the Wawa Welcome America celebration.
Vendors tried to keep cool under their canopies, but manning the grills didn't help.
"Hey it's a great time. It's the 4th of July in the city of independence, so it's all good," Dan Pennachietti of Lil Dan's Gourmet said.
As the sun set, the temperature dipped below 90 Sunday evening, providing a bit of relief and making for a nice night to catch some fish along the Schuylkill.
"It doesn't bother me. Just having fun out here, trying to catch something," Baudilio Rodriguez of Juniata said.
With temperatures continuing to be in the 90s, it looks like the city's fountains will continue to see a number of visitors this week.
As for when the heat wave will subside? There is no answer, so that remains a burning question.
philadelphia, heat wave, local/state, chad pradelli
- Snow walloping Philadelphia area 59 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- School Closings & Delays
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Up to 50 vehicles in deadly PA Turnpike crash
- Video: Widener U. students help stuck drivers
- Nearly 1 foot fo snow in parts of Delaware
- Eagles beat Lions 34-20 in the snow
- Video: Time lapse of snow at the Linc
- Photos: Images of Sunday's winter storm
- 6abc.com Flight Tracker
- Check local traffic on 6abc.com!
- Man dressed as Santa struck, killed on I-95
- Paul Walker memorial in California draws thousands 39 min ago
- Snow walloping Philadelphia area
59 min ago