Mural of ex-mayor Frank Rizzo vandalized in Philly
PHILADELPHIA - July 2, 2012 (WPVI) -- A mural of former Philadelphia Mayor Frank Rizzo has been vandalized in south Philadelphia.
Police say someone threw black paint on the huge mural, splattering Rizzo's left eye and much of his face. Authorities say they are investigating, but no arrests were immediately announced.
Rizzo was police commissioner before serving two terms as mayor from 1972 to 1980. He died in 1991. He earned legions of supporters and detractors for his tough law-and-order stances.
His son, former City Councilman Frank Rizzo Jr., tells the Philadelphia Daily News his father was knocked down a few times in his life and that the mural will be fixed back up.
vandalism, philadelphia, local/state
- Skydiver ID'd in fatal Washing Twp. accident
- 70s Return This Week 50 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- $10K to $30K stolen in Target armed robbery 53 min ago
- I-95 reopens after car catches fire 56 min ago
- Person of interest ID'd in Collingdale hit-and-run
- Residents displaced after West Philadelphia fire
- 4 injured in Route 295 crash 55 min ago
- Camden teen reported missing 34 min ago
- Miss America: Don't suspend teen over prom invite 32 min ago
- Oscar Mayer hot dogs recalled due to misbranding
- Photos: Pictures from Easter Sunday services
- Photos: Jamie Apody welcomes Baby Chase!
- Miss America: Don't suspend teen over prom...
32 min ago
- $10K to $30K stolen in Target armed robbery
53 min ago