Mural of ex-mayor Frank Rizzo vandalized in Philly
PHILADELPHIA - July 2, 2012 (WPVI) -- A mural of former Philadelphia Mayor Frank Rizzo has been vandalized in south Philadelphia.
Police say someone threw black paint on the huge mural, splattering Rizzo's left eye and much of his face. Authorities say they are investigating, but no arrests were immediately announced.
Rizzo was police commissioner before serving two terms as mayor from 1972 to 1980. He died in 1991. He earned legions of supporters and detractors for his tough law-and-order stances.
His son, former City Councilman Frank Rizzo Jr., tells the Philadelphia Daily News his father was knocked down a few times in his life and that the mural will be fixed back up.
vandalism, philadelphia, local/state
- Photos: Suspects in $14-million marijuana bust 11 min ago
- Showers, thunderstorms today
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- 8 charged in $14M drug operation in SE Pa. 5 min ago
- 2 dead in separate police involved shootings
- AG: 29 New Jersey bars swapped top-shelf liquor
- Video shows assault rifle shooting at strip club
- Allentown fire crews find body in burned apartment
- Driver injured in crash involving Delaware fire chief
- NJ man accused of defrauding FEMA
- Cicadas arriving in NJ in time for holiday weekend
- Jose Canseco accused of sexual assault in Vegas
- Thunderstorms slow Oklahoma tornado cleanup