Candle blamed for Mays Landing fire
MAYS LANDING, N.J. - July 3, 2012 (WPVI) -- Officials say a candle, which was being used to light a residence left in the dark due to power outages, is to blame for the blaze that destroyed the home early Tuesday morning.
The fast moving fire was reported around 2:00 a.m. on 6400 block of Garfield Avenue in Mays Landing.
Fire officials tell Action News that power to the home had been out due to the storm over the weekend. A candle being used inside the home apparently ignited surrounding material, which quickly spread out of control.
Arriving firefighters quickly called in for assistance to help battle the blaze. Crews had to truck water in to the scene, delaying efforts to contain the flames.
Luckily, all of the occupants of the home were able to make it out safely before the fire consumed the structure.
fire, new jersey, atlantic county, power outage, local/state
- Men's Wearhouse ousts founder, pitchman Zimmer
- A Nice Stretch
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Get the new 6abc StormTracker app
- 15 charged in NJ unemployment fraud case 46 min ago
- Computer outage delays travelers at Phila. Airport 51 min ago
- Father, son 'pimps' acquitted after prostitutes testify
- Wilmington boy reported missing found safe
- Traffic stop turns violent, police shoot suspect 54 min ago
- Friends mourn NJ doctor killed in murder-suicide
- Philly deputy mayor: City not liable for demo sites 14 min ago
- Death investigation leads police to home of Patriots TE
- FBI hunt for ex-Teamster boss Hoffa's remains ends 40 min ago
- Rollings Stones review: How old is too old?
- Traffic stop turns violent, police shoot...
54 min ago
- Car carrier crashes into bridge in...
55 min ago