Candle blamed for Mays Landing fire
MAYS LANDING, N.J. - July 3, 2012 (WPVI) -- Officials say a candle, which was being used to light a residence left in the dark due to power outages, is to blame for the blaze that destroyed the home early Tuesday morning.
The fast moving fire was reported around 2:00 a.m. on 6400 block of Garfield Avenue in Mays Landing.
Fire officials tell Action News that power to the home had been out due to the storm over the weekend. A candle being used inside the home apparently ignited surrounding material, which quickly spread out of control.
Arriving firefighters quickly called in for assistance to help battle the blaze. Crews had to truck water in to the scene, delaying efforts to contain the flames.
Luckily, all of the occupants of the home were able to make it out safely before the fire consumed the structure.
fire, new jersey, atlantic county, power outage, local/state
- Chestnut Hill College student found dead 37 min ago
- Lots of sun, chilly today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Minivan, car collide head-on in Paoli 32 min ago
- Violent Chester police confrontation caught on video
- Lockdown lifted at Pennsbury High School
- Elderly woman hurt in East Windsor apartment fire 48 min ago
- Multiple arrests after fight in bar parking lot
- 19-year-old struck, killed in Bordentown ID'd
- 292 missing, 4 dead in South Korea ferry disaster
- Chaka Fattah Jr. files $10 million federal lawsuit
- Free coffee as Wawa celebrates 50th
- Video: Boy gets stuck in claw arcade game
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos