Officials: Smoking sparked East Mount Airy fire
EAST MOUNT AIRY - July 3, 2012 (WPVI) -- Firefighters rescued two people trapped on the roof of an East Mount Airy home consumed by flames early Tuesday morning.
Fire crews arrived around 1:30 a.m. to find heavy flames showing from the second and third floors of the twin home, located on the 6800 block of Stenton Avenue.
Firefighters reacted quickly when they noticed two people trapped on the roof. They raised ladders to the pair and were able to get them off the burning home.
One person was injured and he taken to the hospital to be checked out for minor injuries.
Officials say the fire originated in a third floor bedroom, and are contributing the cause to careless smoking.
fire, east mount airy, philadelphia, local/state
- Photos: Maps of Monday's expected snow
- Snow likely Sunday into Monday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Renovation competitors fight at Phila. fire scenes
- Moving day for Oak Lane Garden residents
- SEPTA union agrees to delay strike
- 1 critical after being shot multiple times in Wilmington
- 100 plus weight loss journey to healthy living
- Boyd Theatre to be demolished, rebuilt
- Phila. Police search for suspect in Rite Aid robbery
- Malaysian leader: plane's disappearance deliberate 1 min ago
- Runway reopens after failed takeoff at PHL
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police