8 families displaced in Voorhees fire
VOORHEES, NJ - July 3, 2012 (WPVI) -- Eight families are out of their homes after a blaze destroyed two units in their apartment complex in Voorhees, New Jersey early Tuesday morning.
Valerie Pena of Voorhees said, "5 o'clock in the morning, my house shook and that's what woke me up."
Valerie Pena lives next door to Building 18 of Victoriana Condos on Roberts Way in Voorhees Township, where a fire broke out around 4:45 this morning. She saw heavy smoke and flames and worried the fire would spread.
"I saw the flames, so I ran out, they told us to get out and I grabbed my baby, I have an 11 month old, and we got out," said Pena.
Voorhees Fire along with other area departments responded. Firefighters were met with heavy flames on the second floor.
Police banged on doors to evacuate this building and two surrounding ones. All eight families were displaced from the 8 units in the building. Authorities say two are uninhabitable.
Another neighbor, Tomika Jester said, "It looks like they have nothing, when you look over there, everything's scorched...that's horrible to come home to nothing, that's horrible."
Authorities say most are staying with loved ones, but one mother and son have been put up in a nearby hotel.
When utility crews staying at the same hotel heard what happened, they pitched in.
Voorhees police chief Louis Bordi said, "While at the hotel, AC Electric...I think.about 50-75 crews recognized that family in need, passed the hat and collected some money for them."
The fire marshal has confirmed that careless smoking was the cause of the blaze.
new jersey, fire, camden county, local/state
- Man critically injured in Camden County crash 47 min ago
- Wintry Weekend 34 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Cab driver shot outside Hunting Park nightclub 17 min ago
- 4 shot outside Delaware nightclub 16 min ago
- More of US expected to see snow, sleet, ice 36 min ago
- Pearl Harbor ceremony marks bombing anniversary 19 min ago
- Teacher says he was fired because he is gay
- 2nd suspect surrenders in Christmas package theft
- Temple University cuts 7 intercollegiate sports
- Residents displaced after high-rise fire
- NKorea says it deported US tourist and war vet
- Victim ID'd in deadly Wilmington hit-and-run
- Man critically injured in Camden County crash
47 min ago
- Cab driver shot outside Hunting Park...
17 min ago
- 4 shot outside Delaware nightclub
16 min ago
- Wintry Weekend
34 min ago