Power outages dwindling in New Jersey
ATLANTIC CITY, N.J. - July 3, 2012 (WPVI) -- As holiday travelers head to the Jersey Shore, they'll see more than casino billboards along the roads.
They'll also see plenty of utility crews removing toppled trees, uprighting downed poles and reconnecting power lines.
Atlantic City Electric says the number of active outages is down, affecting 53,163 customers.
The remaining outages are smaller, each affecting just a few blocks, or even just a few homes on a single block.
The power's back on along Filbert Street in Chelsea Heights, but crews hadn't yet gotten to the downed tree around ther corner, where Dover Avenue residents remained in the dark.
Once power was restored at Daisy Gonzalez's house, she went to check on her elderly neighbor.
She said the end of the long outage gave them all something extra to celebrate this holiday.
"When it's gone, that's when you're saying 'you don't know how good you have it till you lose it,'" Gonzalez said.
During a visit to Egg Harbor Township, New Jersey Attorney Jeff Chiesa addressed the area's storm response efforts.
"All the state resources that need to be down here, will be down here, the governor has been clear about that, with all the cabinet members, including me, and we take this responsibility very seriously," Chiesa said.
new jersey, atlantic city, atlantic county, power outage, local/state
- Montco hall closes weeks before bride's wedding
- Clouds to sun, cool today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Search continues for robbers in armored car heist
- 12 dead in Mt. Everest avalanche
- Hate messages sprayed on W. Amwell business 56 min ago
- Arrest warrant sought for captain of sinking ferry
- Stalkers have QVC host living in fear
- McNabb serves 1-day sentence after DUI arrest
- Photos: Suspects in Ocean Co. child porn sweep
- 13 pound baby born at Delco hospital
- WWII vet gets anonymous surprise in Bucks Co.
- Video: Hero twins yell, hit carjacker to escape 33 min ago
- Hate messages sprayed on W. Amwell business
56 min ago
- Dead body found during Easter egg hunt
51 min ago