Power outages dwindling in New Jersey
ATLANTIC CITY, N.J. - July 3, 2012 (WPVI) -- As holiday travelers head to the Jersey Shore, they'll see more than casino billboards along the roads.
They'll also see plenty of utility crews removing toppled trees, uprighting downed poles and reconnecting power lines.
Atlantic City Electric says the number of active outages is down, affecting 53,163 customers.
The remaining outages are smaller, each affecting just a few blocks, or even just a few homes on a single block.
The power's back on along Filbert Street in Chelsea Heights, but crews hadn't yet gotten to the downed tree around ther corner, where Dover Avenue residents remained in the dark.
Once power was restored at Daisy Gonzalez's house, she went to check on her elderly neighbor.
She said the end of the long outage gave them all something extra to celebrate this holiday.
"When it's gone, that's when you're saying 'you don't know how good you have it till you lose it,'" Gonzalez said.
During a visit to Egg Harbor Township, New Jersey Attorney Jeff Chiesa addressed the area's storm response efforts.
"All the state resources that need to be down here, will be down here, the governor has been clear about that, with all the cabinet members, including me, and we take this responsibility very seriously," Chiesa said.
new jersey, atlantic city, atlantic county, power outage, local/state
- Multi-vehicle crash closes EB Pa. Tpk. 1 min ago
- Temps Soar
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- 2 men sought in Deptford Twp. hotel robbery 26 min ago
- Quick moving blaze damages house in West Philly 57 min ago
- 1 dead after car plunges into lake in Vineland
- Security breach affected all cards, not just Target's
- Steps you can take to reduce fraud risk
- Over 75 injured in partial London theater collapse
- Is heroin addiction as close as your medicine cabinet? 34 min ago
- Philadelphia Police search for missing 2-year-old boy
- Attempted child luring in Newtown, Bucks County
- 50 coworkers in Del. to split $1M Mega Millions ticket
- Temps Soar
- 2 men sought in Deptford Twp. hotel robbery
26 min ago
- Quick moving blaze damages house in West...
57 min ago