Philadelphia Police appeal for help in shooting of girl, 2, in Logan
LOGAN - July 3, 2012 (WPVI) -- A young girl shot during a Father's Day block party is home from the hospital.
Now Philadelphia Police are going door-to-door in the neighborhood, trying to drum up leads to find the person responsible.
"A two-year-old little girl. I mean, come on. It doesn't get any worse than that," said Deputy Police Commissioner Richard Ross.
Ross was talking about the Father's Day Block Party shooting that left a bullet in the stomach of a 2-year-old girl from Logan.
The toddler was hospitalized for nearly three weeks, and a $10,000 reward has been posted for information about this case.
Still, investigators say they have not received one single phone call.
Ross says he is appalled.
"You would think people would be raising their hands, saying, 'This person did it. Enough is enough.' Even the idiot who did it should be stepping forward," said Ross.
Several high-ranking police officials returned to the scene of the crime Tuesday. They made a personal appeal to neighbors in the 4600 block of North 12th Street to help investigators solve this case.
"More than one person at this block party has information that is key to us. We are appealing to them and their good nature to give us a call. Let us know what you have. You can be completely anonymous," said Deputy Commissioner Thomas Wright.
We spoke with several residents who say they are still praying for the 2-year-old victim, while also praying for the safety of their own children.
"Just knowing that someone is walking around past me every day that could have done this is kind of disturbing," said Lorraine Ghee.
"A bullet has no name, has no face, has no race or gender. It's just really scary. We try to protect our little ones as much as we can," said Izeaner Acree.
Three other people were shot during the block party. All have recovered.
We tried speaking with the todder's family, but they were still too distraught to go on camera.
Anyone with information about this case is urged to contact Philadelphia Police Northwest Detectives at 215-686-3353.
philadelphia, children, shooting, logan, local/state, walter perez
- Malaysian leader: plane's disappearance deliberate
- Breezy And Mild!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Elderly woman crashes into Toms River law ofc. 36 min ago
- 2 couples robbed at gunpoint in North Philly
- Fire forces 11 people from their homes
- Driver crashes SUV into pole in East Falls, DUI suspected
- 3 people injured in Roosevelt Boulevard crash
- Renovation competitors fight at Phila. fire scenes
- Moving day for Oak Lane Garden residents
- SEPTA union agrees to delay strike
- 100 plus weight loss journey to healthy living
- Runway reopens after failed takeoff at PHL
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos