Rewards for information in burned dog cases
PHILADELPHIA - July 6, 2012 (WPVI) -- A $1,500 reward is now being offered for information leading to the arrest of the person who set a young dog on fire on Thursday.
The PSPCA said a passerby discovered the dog, described as a young male pit bull, on West Cheltenham Avenue in West Oak Lane.
The approximately 4-month-old dog, now nicknamed "Hercules," suffered extreme burns on his legs and back and possible smoke inhalation.
Hercules is now being given intensive care at Animal Alliance in Lambertville, New Jersey.
Fortunately, the PSPCA said, it appears Hercules will recover from this ordeal.
"This is an extremely troubling trend," said Marc Peralta, chief operating officer of the Pennsylvania SPCA, in an emailed statement. "This is a sick and deplorable act, and something that won't be tolerated. Our Humane Law Enforcement team will be investigating and will prosecute the person(s) responsible to the full extent of the law."
Back on Monday, June 25th, another dog, Chloe, died from her injuries after being set on fire and seriously burned. She was found in the 700 block of Gray Street.
A search for a suspect or suspects continues in both cases. At this point, officials say they do not have any information that the cases are connected.
The PSPCA said it is holding a "Justice for Chloe" event on Thursday, July 12th and 7:00 p.m. at their headquarters at 350 E. Erie Avenue.
The reward being offered in the Chloe case has grown to $5,000. However, the PSPCA said due to the public outcry, the reward is set to increase an announcement is planned at the "Justice for Chloe" event.Anyone with information is asked to call the PSPCA at 1-866-601-SPCA.
philadelphia, west oak lane, animal abuse, local/state
- Plane's landing gear collapses at Phila. Airport 5 min ago
- After a Cold Night, Temps Rebound
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Photos: Pictures of Old City building collapse
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- 5 arrested after Logan murder, standoff
- Police: Coatesville man died before fire began
- NJ charges 4 with false Sandy aid applications
- After 6 days, Malaysian jet mystery still unsolved
- Mississippi man who awakened inside body bag dies
- 8th body recovered after NYC explosion 6 min ago
- Philadelphia Zoo welcomes 2 new tiger cubs
- Video: Man punches boy, 8, steals his iPad
- 8th body recovered after NYC explosion
6 min ago