NJ seniors displaced after power loss in building
TRENTON, N.J. - July 5, 2012 (WPVI) -- More than 200 New Jersey residents are out of their homes due to power loss at their apartment building.
Firefighters in Trenton were called to Luther Towers in the 400 block of West State Street for an electrical fire late Wednesday night.
Officials say a water line in the senior housing high rise was leaking onto the building's main 30,000 volt power line.
The water caused the power line to spark and ignited a small fire in the basement.
Firefighters knocked the fire down quickly but the leak caused a short out and a total loss of power to the building.
Officials say they have no idea how long it will take to repair it.
"Lots of times these parts are specially made for the building capacity electric of what the building requires. It could have to be made or it could be found somewhere local or it could have to be flown in," explained Trenton Battalion Chief David Turner.
All the residents are staying at a nearby school that does have air conditioning.
power outage, trenton, new jersey, local/state
- 50 coworkers in Del. to split $1M Mega Millions ticket 48 min ago
- Turning Milder
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Video captures Laundromat robbery
- Security breach affected all cards, not just Target's
- Cat hoarder at Grace Kelly home found guilty
- Arsonist tries to torch atheist billboard in NJ
- Teacher admits to sex with 4 students
- On video: Armed robber fails after KFC workers flee
- Holiday tips, cards stolen in East Pikeland Twp.
- Pastor defrocked after performing son's gay wedding
- Phil Robertson off 'Duck Dynasty' after gay comments
- Barbara Walters' Most Fascinating Person revealed
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos