Fire erupts at Hersheypark Arena, site of 100-point game
HERSHEY, Pa. (AP) - July 5, 2012 (WPVI) -- Fire has damaged the roof of the historic Pennsylvania arena where Wilt Chamberlain scored an NBA record 100 points in a game.
Officials say the flames erupted Thursday afternoon at the 75-year-old Hersheypark Arena in Derry Township.
The facility is owned by Hershey Entertainment & Resorts, founded when Milton S. Hershey separated his chocolate manufacturing from his other businesses.
Hershey spokesman Tim Shellenberger says workers were putting a new roof on the domed building, but it's unclear if that caused the fire. He says the roof isn't in danger of collapse.
Firefighters extinguished the blaze after about two hours. Some emergency workers were treated for heat exhaustion.
The arena opened in 1936. Chamberlain scored 100 points there for the Philadelphia Warriors against the New York Knicks on March 2, 1962.
pennsylvania, hershey, fire, local/state
- Faith-healing couple held without bail 9 min ago
- Lots of clouds, damp and cool today
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Jersey shore reopens for 1st post-Sandy summer 12 min ago
- Video: Time lapse of Seaside Heights boardwalk...
- Wash. I-5 bridge collapse caused by oversize load 5 min ago
- AC casino manager charged with promoting prostitution
- Missing Skippack student found in North Carolina
- 3rd Phila. police-involved shooting in 2 days 7 min ago
- Woman convicted in fiance's wedding day death
- Firing of school official in dog waste incident overturned
- NJ: Caramel-colored rubbing alcohol sold as scotch
- Runways reopen after emergency at Heathrow Airport 3 min ago
- 3rd Phila. police-involved shooting in 2 days
7 min ago
- Wash. I-5 bridge collapse caused by...
5 min ago