Fire erupts at Hersheypark Arena, site of 100-point game
HERSHEY, Pa. (AP) - July 5, 2012 (WPVI) -- Fire has damaged the roof of the historic Pennsylvania arena where Wilt Chamberlain scored an NBA record 100 points in a game.
Officials say the flames erupted Thursday afternoon at the 75-year-old Hersheypark Arena in Derry Township.
The facility is owned by Hershey Entertainment & Resorts, founded when Milton S. Hershey separated his chocolate manufacturing from his other businesses.
Hershey spokesman Tim Shellenberger says workers were putting a new roof on the domed building, but it's unclear if that caused the fire. He says the roof isn't in danger of collapse.
Firefighters extinguished the blaze after about two hours. Some emergency workers were treated for heat exhaustion.
The arena opened in 1936. Chamberlain scored 100 points there for the Philadelphia Warriors against the New York Knicks on March 2, 1962.
pennsylvania, hershey, fire, local/state
- Police: NJ mom drives van into river with 3 kids 2 min ago
- Partly sunny, a bit milder today 50 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Fire forces several residents from Logan apartments 53 min ago
- Delco man missing after leaving medical facility
- Rottweiler puppy poisoned in NJ 6 min ago
- Lehigh University suspends frat in vandalism case
- All-clear given after Liberty H.S. lockdown
- Ferry sinks off South Korea; hundreds still missing
- Mom sought after daughter, 11, shot and killed
- Chestnut Hill College student found dead
- Voorhees police need help identifying this man
- Video: Rare fish found off Delaware River
- Partly sunny, a bit milder today
50 min ago
- Fire forces several residents from Logan...
53 min ago
- Police: NJ mom drives van into river with 3...
2 min ago