Fire erupts at Hersheypark Arena, site of 100-point game
HERSHEY, Pa. (AP) - July 5, 2012 (WPVI) -- Fire has damaged the roof of the historic Pennsylvania arena where Wilt Chamberlain scored an NBA record 100 points in a game.
Officials say the flames erupted Thursday afternoon at the 75-year-old Hersheypark Arena in Derry Township.
The facility is owned by Hershey Entertainment & Resorts, founded when Milton S. Hershey separated his chocolate manufacturing from his other businesses.
Hershey spokesman Tim Shellenberger says workers were putting a new roof on the domed building, but it's unclear if that caused the fire. He says the roof isn't in danger of collapse.
Firefighters extinguished the blaze after about two hours. Some emergency workers were treated for heat exhaustion.
The arena opened in 1936. Chamberlain scored 100 points there for the Philadelphia Warriors against the New York Knicks on March 2, 1962.
pennsylvania, hershey, fire, local/state
- Man killed in front of Rita's Water Ice in West Oak Lane 37 min ago
- Warm and humid, 80s again today 59 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Bar fight leads to double shooting in Southwest Philadelphia 8 min ago
- Gunman sought in Camden for shooting man in head 23 min ago
- Search for Okla. tornado survivors nearly complete
- Oklahoma Tornado: How to help and avoid scams
- Local search and rescue team helping in Oklahoma
- Hats get women ejected from King of Prussia Mall
- Rob Jennings to retire after 36 Years at 6abc
- Chesco man killed longtime girlfriend, police say
- Skippack student may have 'voluntarily' vanished
- Sleep monitors promise a better night's sleep
- Man killed in front of Rita's Water Ice in...
37 min ago
- Warm and humid, 80s again today
59 min ago