2 more heat-related deaths confirmed in Philly
PHILADELPHIA (AP) - July 2, 2012 (WPVI) -- Two more deaths in Philadelphia have been attributed in part to the heat wave now in its 10th day.
Health Department spokesman Jeff Moran said Saturday that both men were found Friday and their deaths were confirmed Saturday to have been due to heart disease and heat exposure.
Moran said a 62-year-old man was found in northeast Philadelphia with no air conditioning and the windows closed.
He says a 53-year-old man was found in southwest Philadelphia in an area with no air conditioning and no windows.
A 70-year-old man with a history of cardiovascular disease was found dead Sunday in a Mount Airy room with windows closed and fans blowing.
The National Weather Service says Philadelphia recorded 101 degrees on Saturday.Although any one at any time can suffer from heat-related illness, some people are at greater risk than others. Check regularly on:
- Infants and young children
- People aged 65 or older
- People who have a mental illness
- Those who are physically ill, especially with heart disease or high blood pressure
Visit adults at risk at least twice a day and closely watch them for signs of heat exhaustion or heat stroke. Infants and young children, of course, need much more frequent watching.Resources:
The Philadelphia Corporation for Aging's 'Heatline' 215-765-9040
heat wave, philadelphia, local/state
- 3 frigid days, another weekend storm 41 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- Cab driver carjacked in South Philadelphia 36 min ago
- PennDOT clears roads of snow, preps for ice
- Limo driver charged in wreck that killed newlyweds
- Police search for burglar targeting Philly restaurants
- Police: Mom was DUI in chain-reaction crash
- Possible abduction caught on camera in Spring Garden
- No bail for 2 charged in Philly collapse
- Obama hails Mandela as "last great liberator"
- 6 missing adults, children found alive in Nevada
- Photos: Victoria's Secret Fashion Show 2013 (Photos)
- 3 frigid days, another weekend storm
41 min ago
- Cab driver carjacked in South Philadelphia
36 min ago
- Police push burning car in New Hampshire
50 min ago