Car hits NJ parkway toll plaza, bursts into flames
SADDLE BROOK, N.J. (AP) - July 13, 2012 (WPVI) -- New Jersey highway officials say two cars were involved in an accident at a Garden State Parkway toll plaza that resulted in a car hitting a toll booth and bursting into flames.
State Police Sgt. Brian Polite says a Toyota Prius driven by 86-year-old Ralph Schiller of Fort Lee was approaching the Bergen Toll Plaza in Saddle Brook around 3:30 p.m., when it side-swiped a Honda Accord driven by Kristie Frost of Pasadena, Md.
Police say Schiller's car continued forward and struck a barrier and a toll booth, and the booth and car both caught fire.
Polite says Schiller was removed from the vehicle and taken to a nearby hospital complaining of chest pains.
Polite says there were no other injuries. No charges have been filed in the ongoing investigation.
nj turnpike, accident, new jersey, local/state
- Photos: Weekend storm forecast maps
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Drugs, $29K seized in raid at Rowan U. dorm 16 min ago
- Police search for missing Rider University student
- Coroner: Frat pledge died from head injuries 33 min ago
- Tennis coach charged with corruption of minors
- Police: Driver dies in crash after fleeing 2 others
- Arrest made after taxi carjacking in South Phila.
- Man arrested in car bomb plot at Kansas airport 29 min ago
- Mega Millions jackpot jumps to $425-million
- Driver facing drug charges after crash with police cruiser 17 min ago
- Chase ends near Sports Complex; suspects sought