$40,000 reward in Society Hill murder
PHILADELPHIA - July 9, 2012 (WPVI) -- There is a new incentive tonight for citizens to come forward with information about the murder of a Philadelphia man a week ago this past Sunday.
Michael Hagan's family and the police have announced a $40,000 reward for information leading to the arrest and conviction of his killer.
"When those detectives walked up on that Sunday morning and told me what happened, we've been crushed ever since," Michael Hagan's father Mike said.
Michael, 32, had been out with a couple of friends at Morgan's Pier on the waterfront Saturday night.
They jumped in a cab and got out at 4th and Lombard streets.
One of them wandered off and the other two headed toward South Street.
Police say that is when Michael was robbed and shot once in the chest around 3:00 a.m. Sunday.
His friend was found nearby. Police say he was not shot.
"We believe possibly he may have been assaulted, but he was knocked unconscious, as well," Captain James Clark of the Philadelphia Police Departments said.
There have been a number of robberies and shootings in the area in recent months.
Just last month, a 24-year-old male riding his bicycle was shot in the back and robbed a half block away at 4th and Gaskill.
Michael Hagan's family says the public needs to be warned.
"These kids come here; they're going out for a good time, having a night on the town, spending their money in the city they love and then they're not warned," Michael's mother Carol Hagan aid.
"They're being picked off one at a time by these predators, these murderers," Mike Hagan said.
Michael Hagan was the kind of young professional the city is trying to attract.
He was a Drexel graduate who decided to stay, renovating a home in Fishtown.
He worked as an IT consultant for a major accounting firm.
His parents say he loved this city.
Now they can only hope someone in the city helps bring them justice.
"I'm just praying that someone will call about this, because this is the most devastating thing that has ever, ever happened to us. We never ever thought this day would come," Mike Hagan said.
The police are asking businesses and private residents to check their video surveillance from that night.
Anyone with information should call 215-546-TIPS.
philadelphia, society hill, homicide, assault, local/state, david henry
- 3 children rescued from Southwest Phila. house fire 20 min ago
- Windy And Cool
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Philadelphia man arrested for firing shots at police
- Fire forces evacuation of N. Phila. high-rise apt.
- Police investigate 2 robberies in Montgomery Co.
- Police seek suspect in Olney sex assault
- Police: Woman who hit teen was DUI, reading text
- Deadly crash on I-295 in Mercer County, N.J.
- Tractor trailer crash jams traffic in Chesco
- Philadelphia man sentenced in shaken baby death
- 4 men sought in West Philadelphia armed robbery
- No quick fix for downed bridge on holiday weekend
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos