$40,000 reward in Society Hill murder
PHILADELPHIA - July 9, 2012 (WPVI) -- There is a new incentive tonight for citizens to come forward with information about the murder of a Philadelphia man a week ago this past Sunday.
Michael Hagan's family and the police have announced a $40,000 reward for information leading to the arrest and conviction of his killer.
"When those detectives walked up on that Sunday morning and told me what happened, we've been crushed ever since," Michael Hagan's father Mike said.
Michael, 32, had been out with a couple of friends at Morgan's Pier on the waterfront Saturday night.
They jumped in a cab and got out at 4th and Lombard streets.
One of them wandered off and the other two headed toward South Street.
Police say that is when Michael was robbed and shot once in the chest around 3:00 a.m. Sunday.
His friend was found nearby. Police say he was not shot.
"We believe possibly he may have been assaulted, but he was knocked unconscious, as well," Captain James Clark of the Philadelphia Police Departments said.
There have been a number of robberies and shootings in the area in recent months.
Just last month, a 24-year-old male riding his bicycle was shot in the back and robbed a half block away at 4th and Gaskill.
Michael Hagan's family says the public needs to be warned.
"These kids come here; they're going out for a good time, having a night on the town, spending their money in the city they love and then they're not warned," Michael's mother Carol Hagan aid.
"They're being picked off one at a time by these predators, these murderers," Mike Hagan said.
Michael Hagan was the kind of young professional the city is trying to attract.
He was a Drexel graduate who decided to stay, renovating a home in Fishtown.
He worked as an IT consultant for a major accounting firm.
His parents say he loved this city.
Now they can only hope someone in the city helps bring them justice.
"I'm just praying that someone will call about this, because this is the most devastating thing that has ever, ever happened to us. We never ever thought this day would come," Mike Hagan said.
The police are asking businesses and private residents to check their video surveillance from that night.
Anyone with information should call 215-546-TIPS.
philadelphia, society hill, homicide, assault, local/state, david henry
- 10-year-old Wilmington boy reported missing
- A Nice Stretch 17 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Get the new 6abc StormTracker app
- Traffic stop turns violent, police shoot suspect
- Friends mourn NJ doctor killed in murder-suicide
- Collapse committee to hold first meeting today
- Maple syrup used to vandalize Pottstown church
- Award-winning journalist Michael Hastings dies
- Paraplegic man castrated in SW Phila. attack
- Car carrier crashes into bridge in Whitemarsh Twp.
- Police: Girl used in theft at Phila. nail salon
- Death investigation leads police to home of Patriots TE
- James, Heat push NBA Finals to Game 7