NJ teen leaps from chairlift as storm threatens
SEASIDE HEIGHTS, N.J. (AP) - July 9, 2012 (WPVI) -- A New Jersey teenager said Monday she "freaked out" when her chairlift ride high above a beach stopped as a thunderstorm approached - and that's why she jumped.
Melanie Rossomando of Springfield told television station News12 New Jersey she decided to jump rather than risk being hit by lightning as she celebrated her 17th birthday Saturday at the Casino Pier amusement park.
A video posted to YouTube shows the girl kicking off her shoes and jumping off the Sky Ride as dark clouds and heavy winds roll in. It doesn't, however, show her landing on the beach.
"In my mind I was like, I'm either getting struck by lightning or I'm breaking a leg maybe," Rossomando said.
News12 said the girl was bruised but otherwise uninjured. It is unclear how far she fell.
"I'm not a calm person," Rossomando told the TV station. "I'm really not. I freaked out. You can hear in the video I was screaming bloody murder."
The operators of the Casino Pier said the chair ride was in standby mode and no new passengers were being allowed on when the power went out. They said staff, following emergency procedures, evacuated the remaining riders and that they didn't know a passenger had jumped off until they saw the video Sunday.
The chairlift takes riders above the beach and boardwalk, offering cool ocean breezes and views of MTV's "Jersey Shore" house, among other things.
new jersey, jersey shore, local/state
- Search for Okla. tornado survivors nearly complete
- Steamy Situation 39 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Oklahoma Tornado: How to help and avoid scams
- Local search and rescue team helping in Oklahoma
- Hats get women ejected from King of Prussia Mall
- Rob Jennings to retire after 36 Years at 6abc
- Chesco man killed longtime girlfriend, police say
- Skippack student may have 'voluntarily' vanished
- Sleep monitors promise a better night's sleep 42 min ago
- Young and Howard lift Phillies over Marlins
- Video: Philly's new skateboard park opens 46 min ago
- Kellie Pickler named new DWTS champ 27 min ago