Man arraigned in crash that killed Philly officer
PHILADELPHIA (AP) - July 10, 2012 (WPVI) -- An off duty Philadelphia officer riding his motorcycle was struck and killed by a wrong-way driver in Tacony.
A judge arraigned 47-year-old John Leck Jr. on Tuesday in the hospital where he is recovering from the crash.
Police say Leck was driving the wrong way on Interstate 95 in Philadelphia on Sunday when he hit veteran Officer Brian Lorenzo.
Leck is also charged with vehicular homicide while DUI, involuntary manslaughter and other offenses. He is being held without bail. A preliminary hearing is set for July 25.
Lorenzo was married with three children. Viewings are scheduled for Thursday and Friday, followed by a funeral at 11 a.m. Friday,
Mayor Michael Nutter ordered city flags lowered to half-staff for the next month in Lorenzo's memory.
A viewing for Officer Brian Lorenzo will be held Thursday at 6:00 p.m. at Givnish Funeral Home at 10975 Academy Road Philadelphia, PA 19154.
On Friday morning there is a viewing at 7:30 a.m. to 11:00 a.m. at the Cathedral Basilica of Saints Peter and Paul in Center City.
A funeral mass will follow.
philadelphia, tacony, accident, philadelphia police, police officer killed, police, local/state
- Charges dropped against fmr. Montco GOP leader
- This is now Philly's 2nd snowiest winter
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Family of injured Harrah's racer sues casino
- Suspect sought in NE Phila. Wawa robbery 38 min ago
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police 40 min ago
- Greyhound passengers stranded for hours in Del. 31 min ago
- Officer-involved accident in Ewing Township 4 min ago
- Snow plow overturns on I-95 in Delaware
- Co-pilot spoke missing plane's last words
- Obama announces sanctions against Russians
- Mick Jagger's girlfriend found dead in NYC
- Photos: Pictures from Phila. St. Patrick's Parade