Man arraigned in crash that killed Philly officer
PHILADELPHIA (AP) - July 10, 2012 (WPVI) -- An off duty Philadelphia officer riding his motorcycle was struck and killed by a wrong-way driver in Tacony.
A judge arraigned 47-year-old John Leck Jr. on Tuesday in the hospital where he is recovering from the crash.
Police say Leck was driving the wrong way on Interstate 95 in Philadelphia on Sunday when he hit veteran Officer Brian Lorenzo.
Leck is also charged with vehicular homicide while DUI, involuntary manslaughter and other offenses. He is being held without bail. A preliminary hearing is set for July 25.
Lorenzo was married with three children. Viewings are scheduled for Thursday and Friday, followed by a funeral at 11 a.m. Friday,
Mayor Michael Nutter ordered city flags lowered to half-staff for the next month in Lorenzo's memory.
A viewing for Officer Brian Lorenzo will be held Thursday at 6:00 p.m. at Givnish Funeral Home at 10975 Academy Road Philadelphia, PA 19154.
On Friday morning there is a viewing at 7:30 a.m. to 11:00 a.m. at the Cathedral Basilica of Saints Peter and Paul in Center City.
A funeral mass will follow.
philadelphia, tacony, accident, philadelphia police, police officer killed, police, local/state
- Deadly crash on I-295 in Mercer County, N.J. 16 min ago
- Lots of clouds, damp and cool today 42 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Tractor trailer crash jams traffic in Chesco
- Faith-healing couple held without bail
- Sex offender arrested in Del. child porn bust
- Police: Woman who hit teen was DUI, reading text
- Jersey shore reopens for 1st post-Sandy summer
- Video: Time lapse of Seaside Heights boardwalk...
- Wash. I-5 bridge collapse caused by oversize load
- AC casino manager charged with promoting prostitution
- Missing Skippack student found in North Carolina
- NJ: Caramel-colored rubbing alcohol sold as scotch