Man arraigned in crash that killed Philly officer
PHILADELPHIA (AP) - July 10, 2012 (WPVI) -- An off duty Philadelphia officer riding his motorcycle was struck and killed by a wrong-way driver in Tacony.
A judge arraigned 47-year-old John Leck Jr. on Tuesday in the hospital where he is recovering from the crash.
Police say Leck was driving the wrong way on Interstate 95 in Philadelphia on Sunday when he hit veteran Officer Brian Lorenzo.
Leck is also charged with vehicular homicide while DUI, involuntary manslaughter and other offenses. He is being held without bail. A preliminary hearing is set for July 25.
Lorenzo was married with three children. Viewings are scheduled for Thursday and Friday, followed by a funeral at 11 a.m. Friday,
Mayor Michael Nutter ordered city flags lowered to half-staff for the next month in Lorenzo's memory.
A viewing for Officer Brian Lorenzo will be held Thursday at 6:00 p.m. at Givnish Funeral Home at 10975 Academy Road Philadelphia, PA 19154.
On Friday morning there is a viewing at 7:30 a.m. to 11:00 a.m. at the Cathedral Basilica of Saints Peter and Paul in Center City.
A funeral mass will follow.
philadelphia, tacony, accident, philadelphia police, police officer killed, police, local/state
- Derailed train car blocking road in South Coatesville 27 min ago
- Brisk And Cold
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- 2 million dollar tickets sold in NJ, 1 in Del.
- Suspects caught on camera prior to car theft
- Guide dog saves blind man after subway track fall
- Girl kidnapped, freed in Reading; suspect at large 31 min ago
- Water main break causes river of ice in Cherry Hill
- On video: Burglars steal drugs in Hunting Park
- Gloucester Twp. school put on precautionary lockout
- Husband charged with wife's murder in Bethlehem
- Tourist distracted by Facebook falls off pier
- Phila. attorney Charles Peruto, Sr. dies