Man arraigned in crash that killed Philly officer
PHILADELPHIA (AP) - July 10, 2012 (WPVI) -- An off duty Philadelphia officer riding his motorcycle was struck and killed by a wrong-way driver in Tacony.
A judge arraigned 47-year-old John Leck Jr. on Tuesday in the hospital where he is recovering from the crash.
Police say Leck was driving the wrong way on Interstate 95 in Philadelphia on Sunday when he hit veteran Officer Brian Lorenzo.
Leck is also charged with vehicular homicide while DUI, involuntary manslaughter and other offenses. He is being held without bail. A preliminary hearing is set for July 25.
Lorenzo was married with three children. Viewings are scheduled for Thursday and Friday, followed by a funeral at 11 a.m. Friday,
Mayor Michael Nutter ordered city flags lowered to half-staff for the next month in Lorenzo's memory.
A viewing for Officer Brian Lorenzo will be held Thursday at 6:00 p.m. at Givnish Funeral Home at 10975 Academy Road Philadelphia, PA 19154.
On Friday morning there is a viewing at 7:30 a.m. to 11:00 a.m. at the Cathedral Basilica of Saints Peter and Paul in Center City.
A funeral mass will follow.
philadelphia, tacony, accident, philadelphia police, police officer killed, police, local/state
- Police probe pizza deliveryman shooting in SW Phila.
- Sunny, blustery winds today 40 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Family escapes burning home in Bucks Co. 28 min ago
- Forest fire up to 1500 acres in Cumberland Co. 1 min ago
- Police search for gunman in Germantown bar shooting 11 min ago
- Eye doc grew pot in Delco home, police say
- Photos: 23 wanted in Phila. insurance fraud scheme
- WCU investigates indecent assault, carjacking attempt
- MLK football documentary premieres in NYC
- Philadelphia Eagles 2014 game schedule
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Photos: People's 'Most Beautiful' list of 2014
- Sunny, blustery winds today
40 min ago
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos