EXCLUSIVE: NJ mayor says, 'I'm innocent!'
HAMILTON TWP., NJ - July 11, 2012 (WPVI) -- He's accused of extortion, money laundering and other corruption charges.
But Hamilton Mayor John Bencivengo remains on the job despite calls from the governor, local Democrats and others that he step down.
"Well everybody has an opinion but you know what? I have a constitutional right and I believe in the constitution and that's what I stick by," Bencivengo told Action News.
In April, Bencivengo was charged with taking $12,400 in bribes from the school district's insurance broker, who recorded conversations with the mayor for the FBI.
The township's former planning director Rob Warney has already pleaded guilty to being the middleman who laundered the money for the mayor. But Bencivengo says he's done nothing wrong.
He'll be back in federal court Thursday to answer the charges against him.
Off-camera the mayor told me he plans to plead not guilty at his arraignment. He maintains the money he accepted was a loan, not a bribe.
"I've said it before and I'll say it again," he told me. "I'm innocent."
But Bencivengo, who earns $108,000 a year heading New Jersey's 9th largest municipality, acknowledges that while he continues his duties and remains at work, there are moments.
"Listen I would lie if I said I wasn't feeling the pressure. Of course. I'm a strong man and I have courage," he said.
And he says he takes comfort from those who continue to support him.
"People have actually stopped and prayed with me. I really appreciate that, I love my people here," he said.
Bencivengo says regardless of what his critics say, and until he has his day in court, he's determined to stay focused and stay on the job despite the corruption charges clouding his administration.
new jersey, corruption, mercer county, local/state, nora muchanic
- Partial house collapse in Strawberry Mansion 6 min ago
- Brief Surge of Mild Air
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Man,90, dies in Hamilton Township house fire 25 min ago
- 911 recordings released in Ewing Twp. explosion
- 2 injured in NJ Turnpike crash in Mt. Laurel
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspects
- Pa. woman born at Burger King seeks birth mom
- Cabbie allegedly locks doors in credit card dispute
- Vietnam vet's therapy dog missing in Lehigh Valley
- Photos: 7 recent child porn arrests in Pa.and Del.
- Video: Camden H.S. wrestler wins state championship
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos