Arrest made in beating of elderly woman
PHILADELPHIA - July 13, 2012 (WPVI) -- Police have arrested a teenager for the brutal beating of an elderly woman earlier this week in Philadelphia's Burholme section.
19-year-old Dimetry Worthy from the 2200 block of Strahle Street was arrested on Wednesday and later positively identified as the person who assaulted an 86-year-old woman while she slept inside her home.
Investigators say it was 1:25 a.m. on Wednesday July 11th when Worthy broke into the residence inside the Meadowview apartments, located on the 2100 block of Algon Street.
Worthy allegedly woke the victim and beat the elderly woman, demanding money. Police say Yevdokiya Rulevskaya had a habit of leaving her apartment door unlocked. Police say the Russian immigrant, who remains hospitalized, has identified worth as her attacker. "He told me, 'Don't scream,' and 'I need money,' Rulevskaya said. "And I didn't scream." The victim was transported to Frankford Torresdale Aria Hospital to be treated for an orbital fracture and facial lacerations. The teenager finally left the apartment empty handed.
Dimetry Worthy is charged with Aggravated Assault, Burglary, Robbery, Criminal Trespass, Simple Assault and related offenses.Worthy is also charged in another attempted burglary from this month and a home invasion from March.
The first set of charges comes from an incident that occurred on Tuesday, July 10th when a 36-year-old woman reported that her 2009 Honda was parked on the 8100 block of Algon Street when it was ransacked. Another victim reported a similar incident involving her 2010 Nissan while parked on the same block.
Back on March 17th at 2:30 a.m. a home invasion was reported on the 2400 block of Hoffnagle Street. A 62-year-old woman was awakened by someone touching her and demanding money.Torisa Baryshnikove did not want her face shown. She says she too had left her apartment door open back in March when a man, she says was Worthy, broke into her building through the basement, made his way to her door, confronted her in the bedroom, and demanded money and jewelry. He eventually settled for $25, two candle sticks and two bottles of vodka before getting away. Police were able to find Worthy's finger print inside a cabinet, and have matched it with the later elderly home invasions. Torisa says worthy acted like he had a weapon but never harmed her.
assault, home invasion, philadelphia, local/state, vernon odom
- 10-year-old Wilmington boy reported missing
- A Nice Stretch
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Get the new 6abc StormTracker app
- Traffic stop turns violent, police shoot suspect
- Friends mourn NJ doctor killed in murder-suicide 34 min ago
- Collapse committee to hold first meeting today 12 min ago
- Maple syrup used to vandalize Pottstown church
- Award-winning journalist Michael Hastings dies
- Paraplegic man castrated in SW Phila. attack
- Car carrier crashes into bridge in Whitemarsh Twp.
- Police: Girl used in theft at Phila. nail salon
- Death investigation leads police to home of Patriots TE 7 min ago
- James, Heat push NBA Finals to Game 7
- Special investigative committee building...
13 min ago