Funeral held for NJ police officer killed in crash
MILLVILLE, N.J. - July 13, 2012 (WPVI) -- Hundreds of law enforcement officers came to say farewell Friday to 40-year-old Officer Christopher Reeves. The Millville police officer was killed when his cruiser was broad-sided in a crash on Sunday.
"I think everybody's taking it moment by moment. There's a little bit of crying,a little bit of laughter as people remember Chris," said Roger Camm, the victim's uncle.
A viewing for the 8-year veteran of the police force was held at Lakeside Middle School where hundreds of officers from near and far came to offer their condolences.
"You can't ask for more than that. My thought of him - he was an outstanding officer, did his job day in day out and was just a salt of the earth type person," said Chief Timothy Codispoti of the Vineland Police Department.
Reeves' wife Sue is also a Millville police officer. She was seen outside the viewing being comforted by fellow officers.
"I'm very proud of Sue. It's a tough thing to deal with but the family is pulling together. Friends are pulling together and everybody's leaning on each other to get through,": said Vince Macrino, friend.
Officer Reeves - a former Marine is survived by his wife, his parents and a 2-year-old son.
Millville officer Jonathan Seidel - who was riding beside Reeves at the time of the accident - was also in attendance at Friday's service. Officer Seidel's injured arm is remains in a cast.
After the viewing and a brief service, a private burial was held at Mount Pleasant Cemetery.
new jersey, police, cumberland county, accident, local/state
- Elderly couple's life savings stolen in Media 36 min ago
- Winter Warm Up
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Police: Man shoots self on SEPTA bus 15 min ago
- $6M counterfeit check ring busted in Phila.
- Purse snatcher caught on camera in Montco
- Neighbor alerts showering woman of fire in home
- Arrest in stabbing of elderly man in Egg Harbor
- 2 million-dollar tickets sold in NJ, 1 in Del.
- Guide dog saves blind man after subway track fall
- Impact of Sunoco HQ, Citibank leaving Philly
- Video: Soldier returning from Afghanistan...
- Photos: Most fascinating people of 2013 41 min ago
- Elderly couple's life savings stolen in Media
36 min ago