Funeral held for NJ police officer killed in crash
MILLVILLE, N.J. - July 13, 2012 (WPVI) -- Hundreds of law enforcement officers came to say farewell Friday to 40-year-old Officer Christopher Reeves. The Millville police officer was killed when his cruiser was broad-sided in a crash on Sunday.
"I think everybody's taking it moment by moment. There's a little bit of crying,a little bit of laughter as people remember Chris," said Roger Camm, the victim's uncle.
A viewing for the 8-year veteran of the police force was held at Lakeside Middle School where hundreds of officers from near and far came to offer their condolences.
"You can't ask for more than that. My thought of him - he was an outstanding officer, did his job day in day out and was just a salt of the earth type person," said Chief Timothy Codispoti of the Vineland Police Department.
Reeves' wife Sue is also a Millville police officer. She was seen outside the viewing being comforted by fellow officers.
"I'm very proud of Sue. It's a tough thing to deal with but the family is pulling together. Friends are pulling together and everybody's leaning on each other to get through,": said Vince Macrino, friend.
Officer Reeves - a former Marine is survived by his wife, his parents and a 2-year-old son.
Millville officer Jonathan Seidel - who was riding beside Reeves at the time of the accident - was also in attendance at Friday's service. Officer Seidel's injured arm is remains in a cast.
After the viewing and a brief service, a private burial was held at Mount Pleasant Cemetery.
new jersey, police, cumberland county, accident, local/state
- Derailed train car blocking road in South Coatesville
- Brisk And Cold
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Arrest in stabbing of elderly man in Egg Harbor 29 min ago
- Arrest in deadly June shooting in West Philadelphia
- 2 million-dollar tickets sold in NJ, 1 in Del.
- Suspects caught on camera prior to car theft
- Guide dog saves blind man after subway track fall
- Girl kidnapped, freed in Reading; suspect at large
- Water main break causes river of ice in Cherry Hill
- On video: Burglars steal drugs in Hunting Park
- Tourist distracted by Facebook falls off pier
- Phila. attorney Charles Peruto, Sr. dies