Funeral held for NJ police officer killed in crash
MILLVILLE, N.J. - July 13, 2012 (WPVI) -- Hundreds of law enforcement officers came to say farewell Friday to 40-year-old Officer Christopher Reeves. The Millville police officer was killed when his cruiser was broad-sided in a crash on Sunday.
"I think everybody's taking it moment by moment. There's a little bit of crying,a little bit of laughter as people remember Chris," said Roger Camm, the victim's uncle.
A viewing for the 8-year veteran of the police force was held at Lakeside Middle School where hundreds of officers from near and far came to offer their condolences.
"You can't ask for more than that. My thought of him - he was an outstanding officer, did his job day in day out and was just a salt of the earth type person," said Chief Timothy Codispoti of the Vineland Police Department.
Reeves' wife Sue is also a Millville police officer. She was seen outside the viewing being comforted by fellow officers.
"I'm very proud of Sue. It's a tough thing to deal with but the family is pulling together. Friends are pulling together and everybody's leaning on each other to get through,": said Vince Macrino, friend.
Officer Reeves - a former Marine is survived by his wife, his parents and a 2-year-old son.
Millville officer Jonathan Seidel - who was riding beside Reeves at the time of the accident - was also in attendance at Friday's service. Officer Seidel's injured arm is remains in a cast.
After the viewing and a brief service, a private burial was held at Mount Pleasant Cemetery.
new jersey, police, cumberland county, accident, local/state
- Man critically injured in Willingboro hit, run
- Tracking St. Patty's Day Snow
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Malaysian leader: plane's disappearance deliberate
- Elderly woman crashes into Toms River law ofc.
- 2 couples robbed at gunpoint in North Philly
- Del. trooper charged with stalking, harassment
- Community relief for victims of Ewing Twp. explosion
- Fire forces 11 people from their homes
- Driver crashes SUV into pole in East Falls, DUI suspected
- 3 people injured in Roosevelt Boulevard crash
- Comedian David Brenner, 'Tonight' favorite, dies 42 min ago
- Authorities: Chris Brown arrested on warrant
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos