A place to go for food professionals
SOUTH PHILADELPHIA - July 13, 2012 (WPVI) -- No doubt, you have a favorite place to eat, and maybe a different place to enjoy a cocktail. But what about people who cater to the dining public? Don't they deserve a place where they can unwind and let someone else do the work?
That's the concept behind The Industry Bar, 1401 E. Moyamensing Avenue, near 4th and Reed in in South Philadelphia.
Executive chef Patrick Szoke decided there's room in a place as food-obsessed as Philly to give food professionals a place of their own. Risky, perhaps, because the customers know the business inside-out. But serve them creative, well-prepared food and beverages and it figures they'll be loyal
The kitchen sends out dishes like a Kentucky-fried-style guinea hen. Smaller bites include chicharones...pork rinds...dusted with barbecue flavor, pork nuggets, and chicken wings served with General Tso's sauce usually associated with leg meat.The menu also includes a selection of healthy salads.
The bar is no-nonsense, offering classic cocktails made from popular brands. There's also a wide selection of beers on tap. Decor completes the tribute to the dining industry.
The owners commissioned a professional photographer to produce images of food professionals...from chefs you know to behind-the-scenes types you're not likely to ever meet. Since the idea is to cater to people from other establishments, the kitchen at "The Industry" stays open until 1:00am. But people who don't work in the food business are welcome as well, so the hours accommodate all.
The Industry is open weekdays from 4:00 pm to 2:00am. Weekends, its 11:00am to 2:00am, and brunch is available until 4:00pm.
Everything at the bar is discounted $1.00 during happy hour, weekdays from 4:00 to 7:00pm and weekends from 3:00 to 6:00pm.
People who work in the food business get a 20% discount. Those folks are also familiar with the concept of the staff dinner, when the chef shows them featured items and tries out new flavors. So on Sunday nights, "The Industry" offers them its own "staff dinner". And in Monday nights, there's a promotion pairing a classic burger with a glass of sparkling wine.
For information, go online to the The Industry Bar or phone 215-271-9500.
food, south philadelphia, philadelphia, pennsylvania, local/state
- 2 dead in separate police involved shootings 24 min ago
- Showers, thunderstorms today
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- 2 injured in crash on I-95 near Cottman in Tacony 20 min ago
- Driver injured in crash involving Delaware fire chief
- Jose Canseco accused of sexual assault in Vegas
- Vote on gay Scouts comes at emotional moment
- Video shows assault rifle shooting at strip club
- $2B in Okla. tornado damage means hard recovery
- AG: 29 New Jersey bars swapped top-shelf liquor
- Faith-healing couple charged in son's death
- 4 Americans killed since 2009 in US drone strikes
- Finding the perfect bra
- 2 dead in separate police involved shootings
24 min ago