A place to go for food professionals
SOUTH PHILADELPHIA - July 13, 2012 (WPVI) -- No doubt, you have a favorite place to eat, and maybe a different place to enjoy a cocktail. But what about people who cater to the dining public? Don't they deserve a place where they can unwind and let someone else do the work?
That's the concept behind The Industry Bar, 1401 E. Moyamensing Avenue, near 4th and Reed in in South Philadelphia.
Executive chef Patrick Szoke decided there's room in a place as food-obsessed as Philly to give food professionals a place of their own. Risky, perhaps, because the customers know the business inside-out. But serve them creative, well-prepared food and beverages and it figures they'll be loyal
The kitchen sends out dishes like a Kentucky-fried-style guinea hen. Smaller bites include chicharones...pork rinds...dusted with barbecue flavor, pork nuggets, and chicken wings served with General Tso's sauce usually associated with leg meat.The menu also includes a selection of healthy salads.
The bar is no-nonsense, offering classic cocktails made from popular brands. There's also a wide selection of beers on tap. Decor completes the tribute to the dining industry.
The owners commissioned a professional photographer to produce images of food professionals...from chefs you know to behind-the-scenes types you're not likely to ever meet. Since the idea is to cater to people from other establishments, the kitchen at "The Industry" stays open until 1:00am. But people who don't work in the food business are welcome as well, so the hours accommodate all.
The Industry is open weekdays from 4:00 pm to 2:00am. Weekends, its 11:00am to 2:00am, and brunch is available until 4:00pm.
Everything at the bar is discounted $1.00 during happy hour, weekdays from 4:00 to 7:00pm and weekends from 3:00 to 6:00pm.
People who work in the food business get a 20% discount. Those folks are also familiar with the concept of the staff dinner, when the chef shows them featured items and tries out new flavors. So on Sunday nights, "The Industry" offers them its own "staff dinner". And in Monday nights, there's a promotion pairing a classic burger with a glass of sparkling wine.
For information, go online to the The Industry Bar or phone 215-271-9500.
food, south philadelphia, philadelphia, pennsylvania, local/state
- Multi-alarm fire at NJ apartment complex
- Lots of sun, chilly today 7 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Photos: Pictures of damage from Tuesday's storm
- High winds bring damage to Abington Twp.
- Police: Pedestrian struck and killed in Bordentown, N.J.
- Driver loses control, hits parked SUV in South Philly
- Violent Chester police confrontation caught on video
- 292 missing, 4 dead in South Korea ferry disaster
- Man charged with hoax near marathon finish line
- Police: Pa. man tries to snatch baby from stroller
- Chaka Fattah Jr. files $10 million federal lawsuit
- Free coffee as Wawa celebrates 50th
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos