Annual 'Blobfest' continues in Chester Co.
PHOENIXVILLE, Pa. - July 13, 2012 (WPVI) -- It is an annual rite of summer in Chester County. Thousands gather to celebrate a science-fiction camp classic called "The Blob."
Once again, "The Blob" is causing chaos on the streets of one Chester County Community where parts of the cult classic about an evasive, human eating alien ball of goo were filmed in the summer of 1957. The movie starred Steve McQueen.
Diane Riggings of Skippack says she's only seen part of the movie on YouTube, but that didn't stop her and hundreds others from lining Bridge Street to celebrate the movie outside of the iconic Colonial Theatre which is featured in the film.
Many of them dressed up, packed area restaurants and held "Blobfest" parties.
"Ii have the proper real estate to have a good party, so I felt it as an obligation to have some people check it out from the balcony area," said Tom Garrity.
Kenneth Moton tried to snag the first ever interview with the alien life form, The Blob. His questions went unanswered, but the son of the film's director told Action News that he was proud of what the low-budget horror movie has done for Phoenixville.
"Because of the notoriety of The Blob, the theatre survived and has really been the anchor for the renaissance," said Irvin Yeaworth, III.
Inside the Colonial Theatre, the audience prepared an entertaining stage show recreating the classic scene where the Blob oozed into the theatre sending patrons screaming into the streets.
"I thought it was awesome," said Katy Franklin. "I'm glad to see Phoenixville and the Blob back again ever year."
"Blobfest" continues through the weekend with showings of the film on Saturday and Sunday.
pennsylvania, local/state, kenneth moton
- Deadly shooting near La Salle University
- AccuWeather: Weather Whiplash 8 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Shooting leads to police standoff in Logan 30 min ago
- Pedestrian struck in North Philadelphia
- Police: Woman, 21, stabbed grandfather to death 46 min ago
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's death 51 min ago
- Volunteer brutally assaulted outside Lehigh Co. church 57 min ago
- Delco police standoff ends, suspect dead
- Self-penned obit takes internet by storm
- Tests confirm toxic chemicals inside Phila. fire station
- Malaysian military: Missing jet changed course
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Police: Woman, 21, stabbed grandfather to...
46 min ago
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's...
51 min ago
- AccuWeather: Weather Whiplash
8 min ago