Annual 'Blobfest' continues in Chester Co.
PHOENIXVILLE, Pa. - July 13, 2012 (WPVI) -- It is an annual rite of summer in Chester County. Thousands gather to celebrate a science-fiction camp classic called "The Blob."
Once again, "The Blob" is causing chaos on the streets of one Chester County Community where parts of the cult classic about an evasive, human eating alien ball of goo were filmed in the summer of 1957. The movie starred Steve McQueen.
Diane Riggings of Skippack says she's only seen part of the movie on YouTube, but that didn't stop her and hundreds others from lining Bridge Street to celebrate the movie outside of the iconic Colonial Theatre which is featured in the film.
Many of them dressed up, packed area restaurants and held "Blobfest" parties.
"Ii have the proper real estate to have a good party, so I felt it as an obligation to have some people check it out from the balcony area," said Tom Garrity.
Kenneth Moton tried to snag the first ever interview with the alien life form, The Blob. His questions went unanswered, but the son of the film's director told Action News that he was proud of what the low-budget horror movie has done for Phoenixville.
"Because of the notoriety of The Blob, the theatre survived and has really been the anchor for the renaissance," said Irvin Yeaworth, III.
Inside the Colonial Theatre, the audience prepared an entertaining stage show recreating the classic scene where the Blob oozed into the theatre sending patrons screaming into the streets.
"I thought it was awesome," said Katy Franklin. "I'm glad to see Phoenixville and the Blob back again ever year."
"Blobfest" continues through the weekend with showings of the film on Saturday and Sunday.
pennsylvania, local/state, kenneth moton
- Over 75 injured in partial London theater collapse
- Temps Soar 1 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- 2 men sought in Deptford Twp. hotel robbery 28 min ago
- Security breach affected all cards, not just Target's
- Steps you can take to reduce fraud risk
- 1 dead after car plunges into lake in Vineland 9 min ago
- Is heroin addiction as close as your medicine cabinet?
- Philadelphia Police search for missing 2-year-old boy
- Attempted child luring in Newtown, Bucks County
- Pastor defrocked after performing son's gay wedding
- 50 coworkers in Del. to split $1M Mega Millions ticket
- Bring old clothes to new H&M for savings
- Temps Soar
1 min ago