Annual 'Blobfest' continues in Chester Co.
PHOENIXVILLE, Pa. - July 13, 2012 (WPVI) -- It is an annual rite of summer in Chester County. Thousands gather to celebrate a science-fiction camp classic called "The Blob."
Once again, "The Blob" is causing chaos on the streets of one Chester County Community where parts of the cult classic about an evasive, human eating alien ball of goo were filmed in the summer of 1957. The movie starred Steve McQueen.
Diane Riggings of Skippack says she's only seen part of the movie on YouTube, but that didn't stop her and hundreds others from lining Bridge Street to celebrate the movie outside of the iconic Colonial Theatre which is featured in the film.
Many of them dressed up, packed area restaurants and held "Blobfest" parties.
"Ii have the proper real estate to have a good party, so I felt it as an obligation to have some people check it out from the balcony area," said Tom Garrity.
Kenneth Moton tried to snag the first ever interview with the alien life form, The Blob. His questions went unanswered, but the son of the film's director told Action News that he was proud of what the low-budget horror movie has done for Phoenixville.
"Because of the notoriety of The Blob, the theatre survived and has really been the anchor for the renaissance," said Irvin Yeaworth, III.
Inside the Colonial Theatre, the audience prepared an entertaining stage show recreating the classic scene where the Blob oozed into the theatre sending patrons screaming into the streets.
"I thought it was awesome," said Katy Franklin. "I'm glad to see Phoenixville and the Blob back again ever year."
"Blobfest" continues through the weekend with showings of the film on Saturday and Sunday.
pennsylvania, local/state, kenneth moton
- Oklahoma tornado was top-of-the-scale EF-5 40 min ago
- Partly sunny, warm and humid today
- WATCH: Action News Online 14 min ago
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Local help on the way for tornado victims 24 min ago
- Oklahoma Tornado: How to help and avoid scams 24 min ago
- Rob Jennings to retire after 36 Years at 6abc
- Box of ammo explodes, injuring man in Del. 52 min ago
- Couple charged in theft of $854K from township
- Prosecutor: Prison can't hold Savage's rage
- NJ ex-priest jailed after working with kids
- Skippack student may have 'voluntarily' vanished
- Street-level interactive weather map
- 2 teens arrested at Pennsbury H.S. prom
- Oklahoma tornado was top-of-the-scale EF-5
40 min ago