Delco police investigate suspicious toddler death
COLLINGDALE, Pa. - July 15, 2012 (WPVI) -- Police in Collingdale, Delaware County are calling a child's death suspicious Sunday night.
A one year old boy died after having trouble breathing. Police were called to the home in the 200 block of Lincoln Avenue Sunday morning.
Sunday night, his mother spoke to Action News.
"He was the best. He was a good kid! He was the best baby in the world," said Christina Rivera.
Christina Rivera found her 11 month old son Niccolo Varner unresponsive in his crib Sunday morning.
"When I went to pick him up, his chest was wet and his chest was blue. So I grabbed him out and started screaming for my husband," she said.
They attempted CPR, but Niccolo was gone.
"Babies dont' just die," said Rivera. "He was a very healthy baby. He was running around playing yesterday having fun."
Collingdale Police are calling the death suspicious.
A source tells Action News investigators found Heroin paraphernalia inside the Lincoln Avenue home.
Neighbors began to gather shortly after police left the home.
"I feel kind of feel bad for the people, but I want to see what was going on," said Mike Trexel.
Detectives are trying to unravel what happened shortly before the boy was put in his crib.
It appears Rivera's husband went to bed early and was asleep most of the night.
Rivera says she put the boy to bed at 11:30pm Saturday night.
Investigators are hoping the autopsy will shed more light into what may have caused the baby to die.
"There is no foul play. My kids are my world. I have a five year old, Luciano, and a 14 year old step son, Victor. We are family people," Rivera said.
Police tell me they have no history of child abuse or other domestic violence here at the home.
The baby brother was taken by Children and Youth Services and placed in the care of the paternal grandparents.
The incident remains under investigation.
child death, delaware county, pennsylvania, local/state, chad pradelli
- Actor James Gandolfini dies at 51 55 min ago
- Splendid spring finale 40 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Get the new 6abc StormTracker app
- Boy, 6, hit by car in East Oak Lane 50 min ago
- Villanova lockdown over, all suspects in custody 45 min ago
- Pregnant woman, 2 others shot in N. Phila. 43 min ago
- Back yard bear prompts photos, videos 42 min ago
- Men's Wearhouse ousts founder, pitchman Zimmer
- 20 people charged in Ocean Co. heroin raids
- 15 charged in NJ unemployment fraud case
- AMA declares obesity a disease [POLL]
- Video: Phila. choir shares stage with Rolling Stones
- Desmond's slam leads Nats over Phillies 32 min ago
- Actor James Gandolfini dies at 51
55 min ago
- Villanova lockdown over, all suspects in...
45 min ago
- Boy, 6, hit by car in East Oak Lane
50 min ago
- Pregnant woman, 2 others shot in N. Phila.
43 min ago