Delco police investigate suspicious toddler death
COLLINGDALE, Pa. - July 15, 2012 (WPVI) -- Police in Collingdale, Delaware County are calling a child's death suspicious Sunday night.
A one year old boy died after having trouble breathing. Police were called to the home in the 200 block of Lincoln Avenue Sunday morning.
Sunday night, his mother spoke to Action News.
"He was the best. He was a good kid! He was the best baby in the world," said Christina Rivera.
Christina Rivera found her 11 month old son Niccolo Varner unresponsive in his crib Sunday morning.
"When I went to pick him up, his chest was wet and his chest was blue. So I grabbed him out and started screaming for my husband," she said.
They attempted CPR, but Niccolo was gone.
"Babies dont' just die," said Rivera. "He was a very healthy baby. He was running around playing yesterday having fun."
Collingdale Police are calling the death suspicious.
A source tells Action News investigators found Heroin paraphernalia inside the Lincoln Avenue home.
Neighbors began to gather shortly after police left the home.
"I feel kind of feel bad for the people, but I want to see what was going on," said Mike Trexel.
Detectives are trying to unravel what happened shortly before the boy was put in his crib.
It appears Rivera's husband went to bed early and was asleep most of the night.
Rivera says she put the boy to bed at 11:30pm Saturday night.
Investigators are hoping the autopsy will shed more light into what may have caused the baby to die.
"There is no foul play. My kids are my world. I have a five year old, Luciano, and a 14 year old step son, Victor. We are family people," Rivera said.
Police tell me they have no history of child abuse or other domestic violence here at the home.
The baby brother was taken by Children and Youth Services and placed in the care of the paternal grandparents.
The incident remains under investigation.
child death, delaware county, pennsylvania, local/state, chad pradelli
- Over 75 injured in partial London theater collapse
- Temps Soar 6 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- 2 men sought in Deptford Twp. hotel robbery 33 min ago
- Security breach affected all cards, not just Target's
- Steps you can take to reduce fraud risk
- 1 dead after car plunges into lake in Vineland 14 min ago
- Is heroin addiction as close as your medicine cabinet?
- Philadelphia Police search for missing 2-year-old boy
- Attempted child luring in Newtown, Bucks County
- Pastor defrocked after performing son's gay wedding
- 50 coworkers in Del. to split $1M Mega Millions ticket
- Bring old clothes to new H&M for savings
- Temps Soar
6 min ago