Police: Gunfire erupts after baby shower in Olney
OLNEY - July 16, 2012 (WPVI) -- Philadelphia police swarmed the intersection of 2nd Street and Nedro Avenue in Olney after an early morning shootout following a baby shower.
Police say 23-year-old Vanna Sok was firing a weapon at a moving car - a red SUV. Someone inside the vehicle returned gunfire as a crowd gathered on the block.
The SUV sped off but Sok remained on the street allegedly refusing police orders to drop his weapon. Officers tell Action News that police fired a single shot, striking the suspect in the head.
Sok's parents were at an emotional loss for words after hearing their son was transported to Einstein Hospital in critical condition.
"We go to bed - me and my husband - then we hear gunshots and don't know what was going on," said Sok's mother.
Hospital officials told Action News Monday that Sok died of his injuries just before midnight Sunday.
Police have not said what caused the initial shootout but the violence erupted just hours after Sok was at a family baby shower on the same block.
Later on around 10:00 Sunday morning, the scene moved to the 4600 block of Devereaux Street in Wissinoming.
Police and SWAT team converged onto a home on the block.
"They were all drawing guns all over the cars and over the trees," said Darrell Miller, a witness.
Officers tell Action News that the scene is somehow linked to the incident in Olney.
According to a witness at the scene, the intense moments led to a calm ending as a barricaded suspect peacefully surrendered and was taken into custody.
A short time later a red SUV with a missing rear window was towed from the scene.
Police have not yet released how the two incidents are connected.
philadelphia, olney, shooting, local/state
- Delaware County mail carrier accused of theft
- Rain Moves Out, Cool Winds Blow In
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Faith-healing couple held without bail
- Police: Woman who hit teen was DUI, reading text
- Deadly crash on I-295 in Mercer County, N.J.
- Tractor trailer crash jams traffic in Chesco
- Sex offender arrested in Del. child porn bust
- Jersey shore reopens for 1st post-Sandy summer
- Philadelphia man sentenced in shaken baby death
- Wash. I-5 bridge collapse caused by oversize load
- Video: New warning about scams targeting seniors
- Healthcheck: Dealing with poison ivy