Police: Gunfire erupts after baby shower in Olney
OLNEY - July 16, 2012 (WPVI) -- Philadelphia police swarmed the intersection of 2nd Street and Nedro Avenue in Olney after an early morning shootout following a baby shower.
Police say 23-year-old Vanna Sok was firing a weapon at a moving car - a red SUV. Someone inside the vehicle returned gunfire as a crowd gathered on the block.
The SUV sped off but Sok remained on the street allegedly refusing police orders to drop his weapon. Officers tell Action News that police fired a single shot, striking the suspect in the head.
Sok's parents were at an emotional loss for words after hearing their son was transported to Einstein Hospital in critical condition.
"We go to bed - me and my husband - then we hear gunshots and don't know what was going on," said Sok's mother.
Hospital officials told Action News Monday that Sok died of his injuries just before midnight Sunday.
Police have not said what caused the initial shootout but the violence erupted just hours after Sok was at a family baby shower on the same block.
Later on around 10:00 Sunday morning, the scene moved to the 4600 block of Devereaux Street in Wissinoming.
Police and SWAT team converged onto a home on the block.
"They were all drawing guns all over the cars and over the trees," said Darrell Miller, a witness.
Officers tell Action News that the scene is somehow linked to the incident in Olney.
According to a witness at the scene, the intense moments led to a calm ending as a barricaded suspect peacefully surrendered and was taken into custody.
A short time later a red SUV with a missing rear window was towed from the scene.
Police have not yet released how the two incidents are connected.
philadelphia, olney, shooting, local/state
- Skydiver injured in Washington Twp. accident 14 min ago
- 70s Return This Week 12 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- $30K possibly stolen in Target armed robbery 10 min ago
- Person of interest ID'd in Collingdale hit-and-run 12 min ago
- 4 injured in Route 295 crash 51 min ago
- Camden teen reported missing
- Miss America: Don't suspend teen over prom invite
- Photos: Pictures from Easter Sunday services
- Pope Francis, huge crowd joyously celebrate Easter
- Flyers rally to beat Rangers 4-2, even series
- Boxer Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter dies at 76
- Photos: Jamie Apody welcomes Baby Chase!
- 70s Return This Week
12 min ago