Police: Gunfire erupts after baby shower in Olney
OLNEY - July 16, 2012 (WPVI) -- Philadelphia police swarmed the intersection of 2nd Street and Nedro Avenue in Olney after an early morning shootout following a baby shower.
Police say 23-year-old Vanna Sok was firing a weapon at a moving car - a red SUV. Someone inside the vehicle returned gunfire as a crowd gathered on the block.
The SUV sped off but Sok remained on the street allegedly refusing police orders to drop his weapon. Officers tell Action News that police fired a single shot, striking the suspect in the head.
Sok's parents were at an emotional loss for words after hearing their son was transported to Einstein Hospital in critical condition.
"We go to bed - me and my husband - then we hear gunshots and don't know what was going on," said Sok's mother.
Hospital officials told Action News Monday that Sok died of his injuries just before midnight Sunday.
Police have not said what caused the initial shootout but the violence erupted just hours after Sok was at a family baby shower on the same block.
Later on around 10:00 Sunday morning, the scene moved to the 4600 block of Devereaux Street in Wissinoming.
Police and SWAT team converged onto a home on the block.
"They were all drawing guns all over the cars and over the trees," said Darrell Miller, a witness.
Officers tell Action News that the scene is somehow linked to the incident in Olney.
According to a witness at the scene, the intense moments led to a calm ending as a barricaded suspect peacefully surrendered and was taken into custody.
A short time later a red SUV with a missing rear window was towed from the scene.
Police have not yet released how the two incidents are connected.
philadelphia, olney, shooting, local/state
- Dump truck hits ATV pulling sled, boy killed 4 min ago
- 3 frigid days, another weekend storm
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- New video shows deadly Asiana jet crash
- Woman killed in Germantown was Villanova prof.
- Parts of Christiana Mall lose power 6 min ago
- On video: Robber dives thru window, attacks clerk
- Camden man accused of robbing 5 banks in 1 month 48 min ago
- Pa. girl, 18, survives bear attack
- Women sentenced in murder of Danny DeGennaro
- Mega Millions jackpot climbs; $1M ticket sold in NJ
- Fake deaf interpreter crashes Mandela memorial
- Bedbug fighter recalled over fire hazard 41 min ago