Police: Gunfire erupts after baby shower in Olney
OLNEY - July 16, 2012 (WPVI) -- Philadelphia police swarmed the intersection of 2nd Street and Nedro Avenue in Olney after an early morning shootout following a baby shower.
Police say 23-year-old Vanna Sok was firing a weapon at a moving car - a red SUV. Someone inside the vehicle returned gunfire as a crowd gathered on the block.
The SUV sped off but Sok remained on the street allegedly refusing police orders to drop his weapon. Officers tell Action News that police fired a single shot, striking the suspect in the head.
Sok's parents were at an emotional loss for words after hearing their son was transported to Einstein Hospital in critical condition.
"We go to bed - me and my husband - then we hear gunshots and don't know what was going on," said Sok's mother.
Hospital officials told Action News Monday that Sok died of his injuries just before midnight Sunday.
Police have not said what caused the initial shootout but the violence erupted just hours after Sok was at a family baby shower on the same block.
Later on around 10:00 Sunday morning, the scene moved to the 4600 block of Devereaux Street in Wissinoming.
Police and SWAT team converged onto a home on the block.
"They were all drawing guns all over the cars and over the trees," said Darrell Miller, a witness.
Officers tell Action News that the scene is somehow linked to the incident in Olney.
According to a witness at the scene, the intense moments led to a calm ending as a barricaded suspect peacefully surrendered and was taken into custody.
A short time later a red SUV with a missing rear window was towed from the scene.
Police have not yet released how the two incidents are connected.
philadelphia, olney, shooting, local/state
- $6M counterfeit check ring busted in Phila. 21 min ago
- Winter Warm Up 19 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings 54 min ago
- Neighbor alerts showering woman of fire in home
- Purse snatcher caught on camera in Montco
- Couple files suit over Lower Twp. blast
- Man robbed at gunpoint in North Philadelphia
- Derailed train car blocks road in South Coatesville
- Arrest in stabbing of elderly man in Egg Harbor 44 min ago
- Arrest in deadly June shooting in West Philadelphia
- 2 million-dollar tickets sold in NJ, 1 in Del.
- Guide dog saves blind man after subway track fall
- Girl kidnapped, freed in Reading; suspect at large
- Elderly couple's life savings stolen in Media
46 min ago
- Arrest in stabbing of elderly man in Egg...
44 min ago
- Impact of Sunoco HQ, Citibank leaving Philly
41 min ago
- Soldier returning from Afghanistan...
10 min ago