NJ soldier killed in Afghanistan to be buried
KINNELON, N.J. (AP) -July 17, 2012 (WPVI) -- A funeral will be held Monday in northern New Jersey for an Army soldier killed in the line of duty in Afghanistan.
Spc. Jonathan Batista grew up in Rutherford and moved to Kinnelon three years ago.
The 22-year-old paratrooper was on his first deployment to Afghanistan when enemy forces attacked his unit with small arms fire in Kandahar province on July 8.
A funeral Mass will be celebrated at Our Lady of the Magnificat Roman Catholic Church in Kinnelon. Batista will be laid to rest in the church cemetery.
new jersey, local/state
- Former Philadelphia hero cop faces rape charges
- Shower In Spots
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Philly to Newark flight forced to make belly landing
- Child falls from 2-story window in Point Breeze
- Witnesses: Car drives into crowd at Virginia parade
- Man found shot and killed in Wynnefield
- FBI searches apartment in ricin letter case
- Suspect identified in fatal Hofstra home invasion
- Mother of 7-year-old hit-and-run victim speaks
- 1 winning Mega Millions ticket sold in New Jersey
- Police: Boy, 6, kicked by pony on Lancaster Co. farm dies
- Connecticut commuter trains collide; 70 hospitalized