Reactor shut down at Limerick nuclear plant
POTTSTOWN, Pa. - July 18, 2012 (WPVI) -- A reactor at the Limerick Nuclear Power Plant in Montgomery County was manually shut down on Wednesday morning after an electrical problem.
A spokesperson for the Nuclear Regulatory Commission told Action News that the Unit 1 reactor experienced an electrical fault in a transformer, which led to the manual shutdown.
Exelon, the owner of the plant, declared it an "Unusual Event," which the NRC said is the lowest of four levels of emergency classification.
In a statement, Exelon said the electrical problem occurred on the non-nuclear side of the plant.
While Unit 1 will remain offline until all repairs can be made, Exelon said Unit 2 continues to operate at full power.
Exelon said it notified all appropriate federal, state and local government officials of the event, adding "there is no threat to the health and safety of the public associated with this event."
The NRC said it is closely monitoring the shutdown, with resident inspectors assigned to the plant gathering information.
There do not appear to be any complications at this point, the NRC said.
Limerick Generating Station is located approximately 21 miles northwest of Philadelphia. With both units at full power, the site can produce enough electricity for two million homes, Exelon said.
RELATED: Limerick Nuclear Power Plant
pennsylvania, montgomery county, nuclear power, local/state
- Police: NJ mom drives van into river with 3 kids 51 min ago
- Freeze Warning overnight 49 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Trash truck overturns on Rt. 130 in Pennsauken
- Mom sought after daughter, 11, shot and killed
- All-clear given after Liberty H.S. lockdown
- Voorhees police need help identifying this man
- Burlco man charged in brother's hit-and-run death
- Boy dies after Mayfair drowning incident
- Search for missing teenager in Camden
- Chestnut Hill College student found dead
- Made In America Festival in Philly and LA
- Photos: Royal family kicks off tour of Australia
- Freeze Warning overnight
49 min ago
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos