Therapy dog helps patients recover in Philadelphia
PHILADELPHIA - July 18, 2012 (WPVI) -- There is a new member of a special program at the Magee Rehabilitation Hospital. He has four legs and he is already bringing lots of smiles as he helps patients on the road to recovery.
"Oh, what a good dog!" said one patient, scratching Ford's head.
And Ford isn't just any dog. This golden retriever is the first four-legged member of Magee Rehabilitation Hospital's Facility Dog Program in Center City.
He works alongside occupational therapists like Cate Dorr, helping patients recover from a wide range of injuries.
"When you bring Ford into sessions," Dorr told Action News, "we have patients instinctually work on movements."
While Ford can certainly fetch, his skill set goes way beyond your average dog. He is highly trained.
From assisting patients as they learn to recover from falls to guiding them in forcefully exhaling as they come off a ventilator, this canine knows more than 90 different commands.
Ford's work at Magee is made possible through The Casey Feldman Memorial Foundation, honoring a 21-year-old woman who passed away in 2009 after being struck by a distracted driver.
"Our daughter just loved animals," said Casey's mother, Dianne Anderson. "It's a wonderful thing in her name and memory."
Terry Boyer of Lititz, Pa. explains how Ford helped him in ways a machine simply couldn't. Boyer lost his leg in a devastating motorcycle accident, and relied on Ford as he gradually gained balance and confidence.
"Ford knows to stay and be there for you," said Terry. "So it just makes you a lot more comfortable."
philadelphia, health care, animals, local/state, katherine scott
- Former Philadelphia hero cop faces rape charges 43 min ago
- Shower In Spots
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Philly to Newark flight forced to make belly landing
- Child falls from 2-story window in Point Breeze
- Up to 60 injured after car drives into Va. parade
- Man found shot and killed in Wynnefield
- FBI searches apartment in ricin letter case
- Suspect identified in fatal Hofstra home invasion
- Mother of 7-year-old hit-and-run victim speaks
- 1 winning Mega Millions ticket sold in New Jersey
- Police: Boy, 6, kicked by pony on Lancaster Co. farm dies
- Connecticut commuter trains collide; 70 hospitalized
- Former Philadelphia hero cop faces rape...
43 min ago