Arrest in deadly wheelchair hit-and-run in Atlantic City
MAYS LANDING, N.J. - July 19, 2012 (WPVI) -- Authorities have made an arrest in the hit-and-run accident that killed a wheelchair-bound man in Atlantic City.
Leo Strazzeri, 42, of Galloway Township has been charged with second-degree leaving the scene of a fatal accident, careless driving, reckless driving and other offenses.
The Atlantic County prosecutor says Strazzeri struck 45-year-old Daniel Tavarez the night of July 9th, as Tavarez was in his wheelchair, crossing in a crosswalk at the intersection of Route 30 and Pennsylvania Avenue.
He was pronounced dead at the scene.
Prosecutors say after striking Tavarez, Strazzeri fled the scene. Police later found his car in another part of Atlantic City.
Strazzeri was arrested Thursday afternoon in Atlantic City. He is being held on $50,000 bail at the Atlantic County Justice Facility.
Strazzeri faces up to 10 years behind bars if convicted.
new jersey, atlantic city, atlantic county, hit and run, local/state
- Photos: Maps of Monday's expected snow 51 min ago
- Snow likely Sunday into Monday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Renovation competitors fight at Phila. fire scenes
- Moving day for Oak Lane Garden residents
- SEPTA union agrees to delay strike
- 1 critical after being shot multiple times in Wilmington
- 100 plus weight loss journey to healthy living
- Boyd Theatre to be demolished, rebuilt
- Phila. Police search for suspect in Rite Aid robbery
- Missing plane: Piracy theory gains more credence
- Runway reopens after failed takeoff at PHL
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police