Arrest in deadly wheelchair hit-and-run in Atlantic City
MAYS LANDING, N.J. - July 19, 2012 (WPVI) -- Authorities have made an arrest in the hit-and-run accident that killed a wheelchair-bound man in Atlantic City.
Leo Strazzeri, 42, of Galloway Township has been charged with second-degree leaving the scene of a fatal accident, careless driving, reckless driving and other offenses.
The Atlantic County prosecutor says Strazzeri struck 45-year-old Daniel Tavarez the night of July 9th, as Tavarez was in his wheelchair, crossing in a crosswalk at the intersection of Route 30 and Pennsylvania Avenue.
He was pronounced dead at the scene.
Prosecutors say after striking Tavarez, Strazzeri fled the scene. Police later found his car in another part of Atlantic City.
Strazzeri was arrested Thursday afternoon in Atlantic City. He is being held on $50,000 bail at the Atlantic County Justice Facility.
Strazzeri faces up to 10 years behind bars if convicted.
new jersey, atlantic city, atlantic county, hit and run, local/state
- Police: Man targeted in hit-and-run crash 19 min ago
- Egg-cellent holiday weekend
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Family pets die in house blaze in Newark, Del.
- Captain of sunken S. Korean ferry, 2 crew arrested
- Search teams recover body of 13th Sherpa 39 min ago
- Police: Store owner victimizes teens with Taser
- Pedestrian struck by train in Plymouth Meeting
- Authorities searching Delaware River for boater 59 min ago
- Photos: Pictures of out-of-control boat on the Del....
- Miley Cyrus still hospitalized, postpones Philly show
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Teen suspended for asking Miss America to prom