Arrest in deadly wheelchair hit-and-run in Atlantic City
MAYS LANDING, N.J. - July 19, 2012 (WPVI) -- Authorities have made an arrest in the hit-and-run accident that killed a wheelchair-bound man in Atlantic City.
Leo Strazzeri, 42, of Galloway Township has been charged with second-degree leaving the scene of a fatal accident, careless driving, reckless driving and other offenses.
The Atlantic County prosecutor says Strazzeri struck 45-year-old Daniel Tavarez the night of July 9th, as Tavarez was in his wheelchair, crossing in a crosswalk at the intersection of Route 30 and Pennsylvania Avenue.
He was pronounced dead at the scene.
Prosecutors say after striking Tavarez, Strazzeri fled the scene. Police later found his car in another part of Atlantic City.
Strazzeri was arrested Thursday afternoon in Atlantic City. He is being held on $50,000 bail at the Atlantic County Justice Facility.
Strazzeri faces up to 10 years behind bars if convicted.
new jersey, atlantic city, atlantic county, hit and run, local/state
- Search for Okla. tornado survivors nearly complete
- Steamy Situation
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Oklahoma Tornado: How to help and avoid scams
- Local search and rescue team helping in Oklahoma
- Hats get women ejected from King of Prussia Mall
- Rob Jennings to retire after 36 Years at 6abc
- Chesco man killed longtime girlfriend, police say
- Skippack student may have 'voluntarily' vanished
- Sleep monitors promise a better night's sleep
- Young and Howard lift Phillies over Marlins
- Video: Philly's new skateboard park opens
- Kellie Pickler named new DWTS champ