Arrest in deadly wheelchair hit-and-run in Atlantic City
MAYS LANDING, N.J. - July 19, 2012 (WPVI) -- Authorities have made an arrest in the hit-and-run accident that killed a wheelchair-bound man in Atlantic City.
Leo Strazzeri, 42, of Galloway Township has been charged with second-degree leaving the scene of a fatal accident, careless driving, reckless driving and other offenses.
The Atlantic County prosecutor says Strazzeri struck 45-year-old Daniel Tavarez the night of July 9th, as Tavarez was in his wheelchair, crossing in a crosswalk at the intersection of Route 30 and Pennsylvania Avenue.
He was pronounced dead at the scene.
Prosecutors say after striking Tavarez, Strazzeri fled the scene. Police later found his car in another part of Atlantic City.
Strazzeri was arrested Thursday afternoon in Atlantic City. He is being held on $50,000 bail at the Atlantic County Justice Facility.
Strazzeri faces up to 10 years behind bars if convicted.
new jersey, atlantic city, atlantic county, hit and run, local/state
- London theater partially collapses; 80 injured
- Record Weekend Warmth
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Security breach affected all cards, not just Target's
- Steps you can take to reduce fraud risk
- Attempted child luring in Newtown, Bucks County
- Holiday tips, cards stolen in East Pikeland Twp.
- Pastor defrocked after performing son's gay wedding
- Cat hoarder at Grace Kelly home found guilty
- 50 coworkers in Del. to split $1M Mega Millions ticket
- Video captures Laundromat robbery
- Teacher admits to sex with 4 students
- Bring old clothes to new H&M for savings
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos