Arrest in deadly wheelchair hit-and-run in Atlantic City
MAYS LANDING, N.J. - July 19, 2012 (WPVI) -- Authorities have made an arrest in the hit-and-run accident that killed a wheelchair-bound man in Atlantic City.
Leo Strazzeri, 42, of Galloway Township has been charged with second-degree leaving the scene of a fatal accident, careless driving, reckless driving and other offenses.
The Atlantic County prosecutor says Strazzeri struck 45-year-old Daniel Tavarez the night of July 9th, as Tavarez was in his wheelchair, crossing in a crosswalk at the intersection of Route 30 and Pennsylvania Avenue.
He was pronounced dead at the scene.
Prosecutors say after striking Tavarez, Strazzeri fled the scene. Police later found his car in another part of Atlantic City.
Strazzeri was arrested Thursday afternoon in Atlantic City. He is being held on $50,000 bail at the Atlantic County Justice Facility.
Strazzeri faces up to 10 years behind bars if convicted.
new jersey, atlantic city, atlantic county, hit and run, local/state
- Police shoot man in Brewerytown 56 min ago
- Spotty, Drenching Downpours 44 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- I-5 bridge collapses in Washington 29 min ago
- Boy Scouts approve plan to accept openly gay boys 42 min ago
- Woman convicted in fiance's wedding day death 40 min ago
- Armed robber steals $800 from Northeast Philadelphia bank
- 8 charged in $14M drug operation in SE Pa.
- Missing Skippack student found in North Carolina
- NJ: Caramel-colored rubbing alcohol sold as scotch 37 min ago
- Chase Utley out 2-4 weeks with oblique strain
- Obama to tour Jersey Shore with Gov. Christie
- Ohio kidnap case hero gets year of free McDonald's
- Police shoot man in Brewerytown
56 min ago
- I-5 bridge collapses in Washington
29 min ago
- Boy Scouts approve plan to accept openly...
42 min ago