1 dead in Ocean County police shooting
BEACHWOOD, NJ - July 20, 2012 (WPVI) -- Officials in Ocean County, New Jersey are investigating a police involved shooting in Beachwood late Thursday night.
The shooting took place around 10:50 p.m. in the parking lot of the High Velocity Sports Bar and Grill in the 200 block of Atlantic City Boulevard and Ship Avenue.
A spokesperson from the Ocean Co. Prosecutor's office says, Sgt. Bruce Harris of the Beachwood Police Department was on duty in full uniform and operating a marked police vehicle when he encountered 52 year old Mark Tanouye.
Tanouye was on foot creating a disturbance while carrying a small caliber gun.
Sgt. Harris exited his vehicle and approached Tanouye and asked him to drop his weapon.
According to Harris, Tanouye did not drop his weapon and that is when he discharged his service weapon, fatally injuring him.The Attorney General office's and Proscutor's office are working together in the investigation.
Sgt. Harris has been placed on administrative leave, which is standard protocol, pending the results of the investigation.
Anyone with any information concerning this investigation is asked to contact Detective Thomas Tiernan of the Ocean County Prosecutor's Office at (732) 929-2027 .
police, shooting, new jersey, local/state
- Man targeted in Collingdale hit-and-run ID'd 14 min ago
- Easter Sunshine Sunday 18 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Stabbing at Hamilton Mall in Mays Landing
- Woman's body found in Berks County
- Ohio couple married 70 years die 15 hours apart
- It's a boy - again for Jamie Apody! 6 min ago
- NJ woman: Dog and TV stolen on 1st date
- Prescription drug ring busted at Aria-Torresdale Hospital
- Authorities searching Delaware River for boater
- Captain of sunken S. Korean ferry, 2 crew arrested
- Police: Store owner victimizes teens with Taser
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- No cause yet in 7-alarm Sea Isle City fire
1 min ago