1 dead in Ocean County police shooting
BEACHWOOD, NJ - July 20, 2012 (WPVI) -- Officials in Ocean County, New Jersey are investigating a police involved shooting in Beachwood late Thursday night.
The shooting took place around 10:50 p.m. in the parking lot of the High Velocity Sports Bar and Grill in the 200 block of Atlantic City Boulevard and Ship Avenue.
A spokesperson from the Ocean Co. Prosecutor's office says, Sgt. Bruce Harris of the Beachwood Police Department was on duty in full uniform and operating a marked police vehicle when he encountered 52 year old Mark Tanouye.
Tanouye was on foot creating a disturbance while carrying a small caliber gun.
Sgt. Harris exited his vehicle and approached Tanouye and asked him to drop his weapon.
According to Harris, Tanouye did not drop his weapon and that is when he discharged his service weapon, fatally injuring him.The Attorney General office's and Proscutor's office are working together in the investigation.
Sgt. Harris has been placed on administrative leave, which is standard protocol, pending the results of the investigation.
Anyone with any information concerning this investigation is asked to contact Detective Thomas Tiernan of the Ocean County Prosecutor's Office at (732) 929-2027 .
police, shooting, new jersey, local/state
- ABC News: Possible security breach at Target
- Winter Warm Up
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Police search for suspects in religious store robbery
- Jewelry thieves target Montgomery Co. open houses
- Elderly couple's life savings stolen in Media
- Police: Man shoots self on SEPTA bus
- $6M counterfeit check ring busted in Phila.
- 2 million-dollar tickets sold in NJ, 1 in Del.
- Phil Robertson off 'Duck Dynasty' after gay comments
- Upper Darby's Chitwood reflects on career
- Video: Soldier returning from Afghanistan...
- Barbara Walters' Most Fascinating Person revealed