EXCLUSIVE: CO shooting victim's mom speaks to Action News
FEASTERVILLE, PA. - July 20, 2012 (WPVI) -- Since early Friday morning, Marcy Rottman has had her cell phone in her hand, waiting for word on her 27-year-old son Carey Rottman.
"He said, 'Mom, I have something to tell you. Don't get mad at me.' And I said, 'It's 1:30 in the morning. What happened? Why would I get mad at you?' And then he said, 'I was shot.'"
The Feasterville mother told only Action News her son was inside that midnight showing of 'The Dark Knight Rises' in Aurora, Colorado where police say James Holmes opened fire. Carey was hit several times in the leg.
"He was in survival mode when he got out of there," said Marcy. "I don't even know how he got out of there. He just said he got out, passed out and then there was a helicopter."
That medical helicopter took him to a nearby hospital.
His mother, who moved back home to Bucks County from Wisconsin two years ago, says she raised her son in Wisconsin before he went off to college and later became a salesman at Coors Brewing Company in Denver.
She was able to speak with her son at least twice Friday after he underwent surgery.
"I said, 'Have you been watching the news all day?' And he said, 'Mom, I lived it. I don't have to watch it.'"
For the man who's accused of shooting her son and dozens of other people, Marcy said, "death penalty? Yes. That many people, kids out enjoying themselves, you can't go to a movie anymore?"
And this mother won't allow herself to think, "What if?"
"No, no, no. My heart goes out to those people, i just don't know how they're going on," she said.
Marcy Rottman says her son is resilient and he's already fighting to recover. He'll have a second surgery in a few days. His mother says she will leave here to be by his side as soon as possible.
pennsylvania, colorado theater shooting, colorado, shooting, mass shooting, local/state, kenneth moton
- Police: Delco 2nd grade teacher groped 2 girls
- AccuWeather: Thunderstorms possible today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Health officials: Drexel student died from meningitis 58 min ago
- DeCoatsworth seeks to withdraw guilty plea
- Mistrial declared in Philly priest sex-abuse case 12 min ago
- 2 dead, others missing in NYC building explosion 9 min ago
- Montco student diagnosed with meningitis-causing infection 18 min ago
- Phila. cop charged with false imprisonment
- Fatal house fire in Coatesville, Chester County
- NJ teen who sued parents returns home
- Pa. state senator charged with misuse of office
- Self-penned obit takes internet by storm
- Co. carjacking suspect arrested after rush...
10 min ago
- Montco student diagnosed with...
18 min ago