Phila. officer shoots, kills suspect in Frankford
FRANKFORD - July 21, 2012 (WPVI) -- A Philadelphia officer was forced to shoot and kill a man who allegedly pointed a gun at police in Frankford.
It happened around 2:00 Saturday morning on the 4600 block of Worth Street.
Authorities say the officer, from the 15th district, came across a man armed with a gun who was running down the street.
A chase ensued and the man allegedly pointed a gun at the officer.
The officer opened fire, striking the man in the head. He was pronounced dead at the scene.
No word why the suspect was running and his identity has not yet been released.
The Philadelphia officer who fired the fatal shot will be placed on desk duty as the incident remains under investigation.
philadelphia, shooting, police, frankford, local/state
- Video shows assault rifle shooting at strip club 16 min ago
- Warm and humid, 80s again today
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- AG: 29 New Jersey bars swapped top-shelf liquor 2 min ago
- Philadelphia cop accused of ripping off drug dealers 26 min ago
- Police ID victim in water ice stand homicide 24 min ago
- SW Phila. shootings possibly connected to bar fight
- Hats get women ejected from KoP Mall
- Report: FBI agent fatally shoots Tsarnaev associate 28 min ago
- D.A.: Girlfriend's murder in Chesco 'an execution' 11 min ago
- Okla. residents come home to pick up the pieces 29 min ago
- Skippack student may have 'voluntarily' vanished
- Rob Jennings to retire after 36 Years at 6abc
- Video shows assault rifle shooting at strip...
16 min ago
- Police ID victim in water ice stand homicide
24 min ago