Phila. officer shoots, kills suspect in Frankford
FRANKFORD - July 21, 2012 (WPVI) -- A Philadelphia officer was forced to shoot and kill a man who allegedly pointed a gun at police in Frankford.
It happened around 2:00 Saturday morning on the 4600 block of Worth Street.
Authorities say the officer, from the 15th district, came across a man armed with a gun who was running down the street.
A chase ensued and the man allegedly pointed a gun at the officer.
The officer opened fire, striking the man in the head. He was pronounced dead at the scene.
No word why the suspect was running and his identity has not yet been released.
The Philadelphia officer who fired the fatal shot will be placed on desk duty as the incident remains under investigation.
philadelphia, shooting, police, frankford, local/state
- Man targeted in Collingdale hit-and-run ID'd 44 min ago
- Easter Sunshine Sunday 48 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- No cause yet in 7-alarm Sea Isle City fire 7 min ago
- Stabbing at Hamilton Mall in Mays Landing
- Woman's body found in Berks County
- It's a boy - again for Jamie Apody! 36 min ago
- Ohio couple married 70 years die 15 hours apart
- NJ woman: Dog and TV stolen on 1st date
- Prescription drug ring busted at Aria-Torresdale Hospital
- Authorities searching Delaware River for boater
- Captain of sunken S. Korean ferry, 2 crew arrested
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- No cause yet in 7-alarm Sea Isle City fire
7 min ago