Phila. officer shoots, kills suspect in Frankford
FRANKFORD - July 21, 2012 (WPVI) -- A Philadelphia officer was forced to shoot and kill a man who allegedly pointed a gun at police in Frankford.
It happened around 2:00 Saturday morning on the 4600 block of Worth Street.
Authorities say the officer, from the 15th district, came across a man armed with a gun who was running down the street.
A chase ensued and the man allegedly pointed a gun at the officer.
The officer opened fire, striking the man in the head. He was pronounced dead at the scene.
No word why the suspect was running and his identity has not yet been released.
The Philadelphia officer who fired the fatal shot will be placed on desk duty as the incident remains under investigation.
philadelphia, shooting, police, frankford, local/state
- 1 winning Powerball ticket sold in Florida
- AccuWeather: Damp and Cooler 40 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Sketches released of Del. attempted abduction suspect
- Hofstra student killed by police during break-in
- Woman faces DUI charges after NE Phila. crash
- Water main break forces evacuation of Fishtown bar
- Bicyclist struck in Kensington DUI crash
- Former Philadelphia hero cop faces rape charges
- White House insists Obama was not involved in IRS
- American Cancer Society celebrates 100 years
- As fireworks crackle, Beckham plays last home game
- OTRC: Billboard Music Awards 2013 nominees list