Phila. officer shoots, kills suspect in Frankford
FRANKFORD - July 21, 2012 (WPVI) -- A Philadelphia officer was forced to shoot and kill a man who allegedly pointed a gun at police in Frankford.
It happened around 2:00 Saturday morning on the 4600 block of Worth Street.
Authorities say the officer, from the 15th district, came across a man armed with a gun who was running down the street.
A chase ensued and the man allegedly pointed a gun at the officer.
The officer opened fire, striking the man in the head. He was pronounced dead at the scene.
No word why the suspect was running and his identity has not yet been released.
The Philadelphia officer who fired the fatal shot will be placed on desk duty as the incident remains under investigation.
philadelphia, shooting, police, frankford, local/state
- Police probe pizza deliveryman shooting in SW Phila.
- Sunny, blustery winds today 37 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Family escapes burning home in Bucks Co. 25 min ago
- Forest fire up to 1500 acres in Cumberland Co. 6 min ago
- Police search for gunman in Germantown bar shooting 8 min ago
- Eye doc grew pot in Delco home, police say
- Photos: 23 wanted in Phila. insurance fraud scheme
- WCU investigates indecent assault, carjacking attempt
- MLK football documentary premieres in NYC
- Philadelphia Eagles 2014 game schedule
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Photos: People's 'Most Beautiful' list of 2014
- Sunny, blustery winds today
37 min ago
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos